Who's getting the new iPhone (2010 Model)??

Are you upgrading to the new iPhone

• Total voters

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
i didnt make the upgrade to the 3GS so this one has been long awaited... i think the only reason i made it this long is b/c i ended up getting a new new 3G right before the 3GS came out b/c i had the issues with the white plastic cracking.... so it was a free iphone right before the new one came out.... but IM really excited for this update... and the new macbook pro
Hey, was just reading through this thread. My white case also has a very fine crack that goes from the vibrate mode switch to the metal screen bezel. Am I entitled to a new iphone for free too?
Oh and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the new iPhone if it has a higher-res screen.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Hey, was just reading through this thread. My white case also has a very fine crack that goes from the vibrate mode switch to the metal screen bezel. Am I entitled to a new iphone for free too?
Bring it in to an Apple Store and give it a try. They replaced my 3G for this reason just before the 3GS came out. The fine cracking never bothered me, but I thought I might as well get a new 3G to give my wife when I got the 3GS for myself.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Bring it in to an Apple Store and give it a try. They replaced my 3G for this reason just before the 3GS came out. The fine cracking never bothered me, but I thought I might as well get a new 3G to give my wife when I got the 3GS for myself.
Ok cool thanks I'll give it a try. Will getting a new phone restart my upgrade eligibility?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I'll be getting it. My contract isn't due until Nov. 2010 so I'll at least pay lip service to waiting until then, but I'll likely pony up the dough for the new one on the day of launch. ;)

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Will getting a new phone restart my upgrade eligibility?
Shouldn't. Back up your phone before you go and keep your SIM when they swap. Then back at home should be simple to activate the phone with iTunes and restore from your back up. Of course if you're a jailbreaker you wouldn't want to do this as you'll likely end up with the newest firmware and latest Boot ROM. But if you're not a jailbreaker then have at!

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Shouldn't. Back up your phone before you go and keep your SIM when they swap. Then back at home should be simple to activate the phone with iTunes and restore from your back up. Of course if you're a jailbreaker you wouldn't want to do this as you'll likely end up with the newest firmware and latest Boot ROM. But if you're not a jailbreaker then have at!
Cool, i'm not a jailbreaker, so I'll definitely do that. Thanks!

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
That will be the toughest part of switching. Losing the jailbreaking will suck. I might wait a few weeks but likely will be sucked in and get it. I spent 6 months away from the iPhone with the Hero and Touch Pro 2, don't think I can leave again. Like mentioned above, Android is nice and the customization is cool but its doesn't quite work as smoothly and easily as the iPhone.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Of course it will - unless you're planning on paying the full, unsubsidized price for it.
No, he's talking about getting a free replacement under warranty for his cracked iPhone. This will not reset a contract.

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Us in Canada have to wait another another year until the 5th iPhone is out anyway. Unless we pay $699. The US carrier contracts are as long as our upgrades.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
A) Costs are stupidly high when something is just released - a few months in and it drops

E) I HATE waiting lists. I read things on people having to wait for 4-5 weeks to get an iPhone 3gs when it first came out, and honestly, I don't care to be on the edge of my seat for that long lol.

When did the prices of a 3GS drop the first few months in? They are still 199/299 and that won't change until the next model is released. 199/299 for a phone like the iPhone is not "stupidly high", nor will they drop until another model is released, like every year.

Also, I don't know of anyone who waited a month to get a 3GS. If a store was out (even an AT&T store) you typically waited days, not weeks. I had friends who didn't line up, put their name in at an AT&T store and got a call to come get their phone in 2-3 days. And I'm in the Chicago area, not exactly a small area.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Of course it will - unless you're planning on paying the full, unsubsidized price for it.

He was referring to the fact that he has hairline cracks in his phone and getting it swapped, not getting a "new" phone.

In that case it would, but just getting it swapped at Apple won't. To the person asking the question, you can't swap it at AT&T, apple only, so you'll have to make an appt at an Apple store or call Apple and do a mail-in repair/replacement.

xpunksbeendeadx

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the 3GS already but even that is getting pretty stale. I'm lucky enough though that my family has multiple lines and one line is always eligible for the new iPhone. I'm even luckier that I'm the one who gets to keep the phone.

I just want to see the new iPhone because I'm just praying that 4.0 will be a massive leap from the current OS and even androids offerings. If not, I may have to jump ship to android...

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a family plan with my friend and I did the math so yes we are getting new ones. The difference in getting an 2 iPhones with 1 extra year of Apple Care compared to just buying a new ones / selling old ones the next year is only like $65 more per phone. Yes this all changes if the value of a 1-year old 32GB 3GS out of contract goes down, but I think getting at least $200 a phone is reasonable. I'm also assuming that you would only get $100 a phone for a 2-year old version.

2 New phones every year:
New Phone 1: $299 (first phone eligible after 12 months)
New Phone 2: $499 (second phone only that "halfway" eligible for upgrade)
$798 - $400 (sell 2 1-year old) = $398 / year

2 New phones every 2 years, with extended Apple Care:
New Phone 1: $299
New Phone 2: $299
$598 + $138 (apple care) - $200 (sell 2 2-year old) = $536 / 2 = $268 / year

Wait I'm confused. Are you saying you only expect to get 100-200 per iPhone when you sell your old ones. Do NOT sell them that cheap my friend.

Which one do you have?

Last year when myself and my gf upgraded to the 32GB models of the 3GS, a week before launch we sold our 16GB iPhone 3G models. I got 450$ PER phone off Craigslist. So I got 900$ for the two phones. Then my line was eligible and her's wasn't so 299 + 499 = around 800. I MADE 100$ to upgrade.

We have done that every year and actually ended up pocketing money.

We both have the 32GB models, those are currently going for around 600$ a piece still.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Steve saids the next iPhone will be an "A+ Upgrade", you basically look up "iPhone 4" in here [TiPb] and you wil find 3 pages of articles about the next iphone

and its obvious that they always do this every June-July
iPhone - June 2007
iPhone 3G - July 2008
iPhone 3GS - July 2009

and this years model so....

3GS came out in June 2009 ;)

I think the dates were June 29, 2007 - July 11, 2008 - June 19, 2009

I think the 3G was the 11th. Not exactly sure on that one.