March is Almost Over and I See an Absence of an OS 4.0 Beta / SDK

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
So.... Apple's history with iPhone firmware releases is pretty well known. SDK and Beta in March, then final release with new hardware in June / July. This is where the inherent issue lies.. There is only 5 days left in March, and not a word has been said about 4.0. Could this mean that we are looking at a later release, or are they just caught up in the iPad? I sure hope it is the latter. As much as I love my 3GS I am always itching for new Apple Software and Hardware. What are your thoughts on this matter.

Jerry-O

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I heard that Jobs finally sold out and the new iphone will be android based. He will also bring back the Motorola startac to use as the new form factor. It will no longer be on AT&T but prepaid only through WalMart.

In all seriousness I think it boils down to what all of the other 4G iphone threads come down to, pure speculation. I think they may be holding their cards close since the iPad was just released and we may not see an SDK until right before the launch and then the developers will need to play catch up.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The iPad is ruining everything for the iPhone. Apple won't do anything until it's released so nothing steals it's supposed thunder.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The iPad is ruining everything for the iPhone. Apple won't do anything until it's released so nothing steals it's supposed thunder.

I totally agree. Apple needs to sell a hell of a lot of Kool-Aid to make the iPad successful and they don't want anything else distracting the Apple loyalist at the moment.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure 1Million in one weekend is their goal guys. I believe they are hitting their marks as they always do.

Back on topic, I think it's due to them not wanting to show what the new 4.0 has to offer. 3.2 is probably 4.0 without the features that they're trying to keep away from revealing. Apple knows how all these devs and hackers would rip the sdk apart to find everything.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I agree with you guys saying they don't want 4.0 or the 4th gen iPhone stealing any of the iPad's thunder. Not sure if they're gonna delay the release of 4.0 or just have shorter time between showing it and releasing it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
This put the iPhone on old while we work on another project mentality is going to bite them in the bottom eventually. My 3GS feels dated compared to a Nexus 1 ... And I am sure Google will have yet another OS update prior to apple doing anything "revolutionary." ... I love my iPhone, but am now on the fence ... Should I pick up a N1?

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
This put the iPhone on old while we work on another project mentality is going to bite them in the bottom eventually. My 3GS feels dated compared to a Nexus 1 ... And I am sure Google will have yet another OS update prior to apple doing anything "revolutionary." ... I love my iPhone, but am now on the fence ... Should I pick up a N1?

BTW..

I own both and I still default to my iPhone. There's just no replacement for the ease of use and the iPhones buttery smooth virtual keyboard. In my opinion, anyway.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
BTW..

I own both and I still default to my iPhone. There's just no replacement for the ease of use and the iPhones buttery smooth virtual keyboard. In my opinion, anyway.

Agree. I am this | | close to sending my N1 back due to the keyboard. I love everything else about it though, but I'm text/twitter a lot and need the multitouch godlyness the iPhone keyboard possesses.

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. I struggle mightily with the keyboard. It's the single most maddening thing about the N1 to me. I tried a few others from the market and the Htc_ime board as well without success.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
When the original iPhone launched, Apple pulled people off of Leopard to get it out so Leopard ended up being delayed. It's not impossible to imagine Apple pulled people off iPhone 4.0 to get iPad out and so iPhone 4.0 will be similarly delayed.

However, iPhone G4 is separate from iPhone 4.0, so it's conceivable Apple could still launch iPhone G4 in June with OS 3.2 and then do an iPhone 4.0 launch.

Conceivable, but it wouldn't be good news.

I'm betting we'll see iPhone 4.0 is late April, early May, with a beta release leading up to iPhone G4.

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but with all the expansion they've had over the last 3-4 years i bet they have more than enough resources in place to simultaneously build out for both sides. I think they simply just dont want to detract from the iPad focus at the moment.

mysterio

May 7, 2009
Visit site
But I'd want for my developers to have the latest tools to be able to come out with as much depth and variety in the appstore when I come out with the iPad. Well, if I were Apple anyway.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2