Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts

Default tethering via the newer updates... jailbreak?

My 3Gs has the standard 3.0 that came with it, I'm missing out on some great apps that are 3.1 based and wondering if its worth it unfortunately I need the tethering feature hacked @help.BenM.at and wish not to loose it on an upgrade, is this possible? Would I have to deal with other snafu's with a Jailbreak work around, or can 3.1 tether as well?
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Make sure you click the "make my life easier" in Cydia and then follow the instructions on saurik.com so that you can update.

As far as tethering, you may be stuck with either Pdanet or MyWi.
    iPhone Newbie

36 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

My limited understanding is that both PDanet and MyFi allow tethering on a jailbroken 3gs running 3.1.2, but not 3.1.3, let alone 3.2 or 4.0. I have tethered for 8 months, average d/l speed 0.5 to 3.0 mbps, on 3.0. I also hesitate to upgrade until I have to do so. I am hoping to use MyFi as a wireless router for my new iPad soon. The config file from @help.benm.at does not require any jailbreak at all. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-)