Device stability

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how stable is the iPod Touch OS? Does it crash often, moderately, or rarely? What are are user's experiences?

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
As with any computer it can crash, but the iPhone/iPod software is very stable especially if you do not modify and jailbreak it...

Believe me - I have no intentions of jailbreaking or any other such activities! This question comes from a concern I've voiced before concerning backup. I was very much surprised to find that there is a significant absence of redundant backup systems. Blackberry, for example, is now getting a variety of 3rd party backup/restore programs. But, if the touch is quite stable, then that certainly reduces the risk of data loss.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Believe me - I have no intentions of jailbreaking or any other such activities! This question comes from a concern I've voiced before concerning backup. I was very much surprised to find that there is a significant absence of redundant backup systems. Blackberry, for example, is now getting a variety of 3rd party backup/restore programs. But, if the touch is quite stable, then that certainly reduces the risk of data loss.

every time you sync with itunes it backs up the device...

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
every time you sync with itunes it backs up the device...

Take note my concern isn't just backup, but redundant backup - in other words, backup in more than one place/system. If one backup fails/is corrupted, there's another to draw on. Palm, for example, in their Pre, scorned the feature used in their previous Palm OS devices of backup apps on SD cards, and had everyone rely on their Cloud for backup. Well, not too long ago something in their system went awry, and lots of folks lost their data - and completely lost it- because Palm itself had no redundant backup in their own system; now they're facing a class-action lawsuit over it in California. In my old Palm Tungsten T3 I have not only desktop syncing, but a fully capable backup program to an SD card in the device. It's saved my skin a number of times.

Like I mentioned before, even BlackBerry is seeing an array of OTA backup programs that one may use to compliment the very good desktop backup already in place.

I realize that OTA backup/restore isn't so easily done with a device like the Touch, but I still would like to somehow see a secondary redundnat backup system developed for it.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Time machine should be your second backup, and honestly what are the chances you break your iPhone and you bsckup is corrupt at the same time

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Time machine should be your second backup, and honestly what are the chances you break your iPhone and you bsckup is corrupt at the same time

Isn't Time Machine a Mac feature? I have a Windows machine. For that matter, I have Windows 7 Professional which has a backup function of its own.

Without a longer explanation, you'd have to see how much I add and edit data to my device during the day (I run my business on my portable devices). Believe me, like I said, having both desktop and onboard redundant backup has saved me a lot of damage over the years!

What I'd ultimately like to see is something that backs up to the Touch's internal memory in some way, similar to what Norton Ghost does - duplicate everything in memory as an image to another partition of the memory that can be restored down to the individual file level (Palm's been doing stuff like that for years).

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
When itunes backups up you iPhone this is copy #1
When Windows 7 Professional uses it's "backup function of its own" this is copy number 2

Each copy has everything down to your text messages but you can not pick and choose which part you want to restore...

Palm might have been doing this for years, and if so, then maybe you should consider getting a piece of junk Palm Pre...

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
When itunes backups up you iPhone this is copy #1
When Windows 7 Professional uses it's "backup function of its own" this is copy number 2

Each copy has everything down to your text messages but you can not pick and choose which part you want to restore...

FWIW, I only backup the HDD once a week, not every day as I do with my devices.

Palm might have been doing this for years, and if so, then maybe you should consider getting a piece of junk Palm Pre...

Got the feeling that comment would get a reaction out of someone;). Earless Puppy, you need to read my posts a little more carefully.

1. It's not the Pre that has the redundant backup, it's Palms retired OS & handhelds that do that.

2. It's also the very fact that Palm has left their old platform behind and created the Pre that has moved me to switch from old Palm to the iPhone Touch. I have chosen iPhone OS & Touch for a variety of both technical and non-technical reasons. The iPod Touch does things that are impossible in Palm OS so, there's trade-offs. My initial post was on more of casual curiosity, rather than looking to see if I should trust it. I'm still heading toward the iPod Touch; I'll make do with whatever backup sytems are available. There's a few things to learn as I jump into this.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
One thing to realise is that for an old palm, an online backup numbered in the MB.

For the iphone os these tend to number in the gig.

That's 1000 times more data to backup.

There's also a security issue to account for. The palm let you, the iphone os is more secure and doesn't allow unfettered access to everything

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
One thing to realise is that for an old palm, an online backup numbered in the MB.

For the iphone os these tend to number in the gig.

That's 1000 times more data to backup.

There's also a security issue to account for. The palm let you, the iphone os is more secure and doesn't allow unfettered access to everything

Two things:1. as said before, I'm not so concerned about online backup. On-board is preferred.
2. I have no plans of my total file size going much beyond what it is now - about 22 MB. This wll be a business machine. My BlackBerry is my music player ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2