to buy or not to buy (now)

applenewbie

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
so i've been a customer with sprint pcs for as long as i can remember and am actually quite happy with my service. monthly bills are low, cust service reps are easy to reach, and NO problems with reception. my biggest problem right now is that i have a blackberry which works great for email/text/phone but sucks for everything else. i've recently become an apple addict from my macbook and want to switch to the iphone - which i absolutely LOVE. so my problems are:

(1) do i cave in now and break my contract with sprint for the 3GS or do i wait to for the summer upgrade (which would also cause the 3GS to be sold at a lower cost, even if i don't go with the upgraded version)?

and

(2) do i consider waiting to see what the apple-at&t contract is going to do - i.e. if there is any possibility of bringing on board another wireless provider (verizon, etc) as i'm a little concerned about the problems people have been having with at&t? (i'm moving from atlanta to cleveland this summer).

ANY thoughts would be great. thanks.

DaBoz

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I bailed on Verizon last week and paid my early termination fee... went from a BB to my iphone 3gs. Couldn't be happier. Night and day difference. I tell people that the BB was like driving a truck compared to the iPhone which is like driving a Porsche. Did I say I like it?? :D

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I like to think that I have been consistent whenever this question has arisen. Early is better. Buying on available knowledge beats waiting and speculating. Any mistake one makes early, one can fix with money but no amount of money will make up for the time one did not enjoy an iPhone.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
better to wait may be some exaggerated version comes , so you will definitely enjoy some more interesting features.

which we have no information on or even that something is coming out anytime soon. Apple could wait for LTE to be common to release a new model for all we know. never base a buying decision based on rumors

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
(...) Apple could wait for LTE to be common to release a new model for all we know. never base a buying decision based on rumors.

That's just silly. Especially considering Steve Jobs announced an "A+ update" that "Google won't be able to beat". Not that Apple wouldn't have released another iPhone again this year if Google hadn't decided to make a phone of their own.

GregoriusM

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Apple has put out one iPhone per year and one iPod touch per year for 3 years. There is no reason to think that they won't put out another iPhone this year.

I'd wait. It really isn't that long anyway.

Roustermiller

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here I still have my BB tour from sprint but just got my iPhone 2 day and I'm really happy with it you can't go wrong with a iPhone I'm so in love. All I can say is just try it out

gottspd

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi TiPB'ers!

After more than 10 years with Sprint and every palm and virtually every windows mobile phone available on their system, I finally had enough of my unreliable (yet, still very cool) Palm Pre and switched to the iPhone. I am pleased with my decision. There seems to be little downside to buying the iPhone now. Used phones sell for lots of money, so one's out of pocket for the 4th gen iPhone should be modest (at least that's what I tell myself).

DaBoz

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
3 weeks now with my iPhone 3gs 32g. Used a BB for a couple years and liked it a lot. The BB simply doesn't compare to the iPhone. Night and day difference.