Disable Apple

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to disable apple.com, imap, and any other applications that my IPhone 3GS is trying to run in the background? I am using a server with very limited bandwidth and I can see on the router log that these applications are always running and I think it is bogging down my email. The only thing I want to do is access my company email and possibly gmail.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You want to disable imap but want to keep email.

Stop doing what you're trying and go learn how email connects...

Also, what is your server?

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, maybe not imap, but definitely apple.com. I am just learning the IPhone but I see a big difference in the way the BB and ITouch work with this server.

Can I keep the IPhone from going to apple.com, or if I accidently hit the Apps store or the Itunes store? I only want to access my compnay email.

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to go to any of these sites, thats the problem. My IPhone automatically goes to apple.com and then I accidently hit the apps store and it was trying to go there.

I have to use the Wi-Fi and I only want to go to my company email. Because the IPhone is trying to go these other sites, it is slowing the whole thing down and me emails are failing because I have very limited bandwidth.

Blackberry and ITouch work great because they do not pull up all this other stuff.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You can't stop it from going there if you accidentally go to the Apps store.

I'm not sure why it is going to apple.com in the background other than that, are you 100% sure it is your iPhone and not iTunes on your computer checking for updates?

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope, the computer that I am checking the router with does not have Itunes.

So I will keep it simple.

How do I keep the IPhone from going to apple.com in the background?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'll check when I get home to see if my iPhone does this, but I'm not aware of the iPhone going to apple.com in the background.

Is the phone being used during the time the router logs the requests or is the phone in standby ( screen off, not being used )?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I just dug through my works wireless logs. I noticed a total for 4 requests from iPhone to an apple server for the entirety of the day ( 8am - 3pm so far ) one was to metrics.apple.com and one was to some iTunes address. I may have opened up the App store once today, I don't recall, but it is NOT sending out constant data.

Secondly, wifi turns off when the iPhone goes into standby so it cannot continually send out requests through your network.

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
The problem is much greater when I first connect so when it initially goes to apple.com, that may be the reason.

I didn't realize it turns off the Wi-Fi when it goes to Stby. That may be another reason for the problems. When I come out of Stby and reconnect the Wi-Fi, would there be another attempt to go to apple.com?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can't duplicate your issue of the phone going to apple.com when I just wake it up. The only time I see it going there is if I go to the App Store or ITunes. I don't know why you are seeing what you are seeing.

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You could try turning off push and see how it works. You could also turn off Wi-Fi all together and your iPhone won't use your local network at all anymore.

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
If I turn off Wi-Fi I can't connect to the router.

I think I found my solution. On the Restrictions page, I can turn off Safari, Apps, and a whole lot more. This seems to have solved the problem as it is only doing email.

Thanks,
Troy

troy9129

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I am using a wireless router that is connected to a satellite transceiver onboard a corporate aircraft. I need to turn aircraft mode on and the Wi-Fi on to connect to the router which uses the transceiver to send email. It works great with Blackberry and ITouch because they aren't using very much bandwidth. The IPhone fails because it is constantly looking for updates and pulls so much bandwidth.

Those previous settings aren't working for everyone at the moment.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2