Switching to iPhone, but Hedging my Bets
I'm planning to switch from a BlackBerry on VZW to an iPhone on AT&T. I know I'll be pleased with the hardware, but am concerned that I'll be unhappy with the service. I know that AT&T has a 30 day return policy, but am wondering what my options are after that.
I know I'd be out $200 for the iPhone (3GS 16gb) plus $175 ETF. However, it seems like I'd be able to recoup some of that by selling the hardware.
Here's what I'm wondering, though:
- If I sell the hardware, would the new owner have any trouble activating it with AT&T, either on an existing account or a new one?
- Would AT&T require the new owner to be on a contract, even though he/she would own the hardware outright?
- Has anyone used a trade-in website (like GreenPhone) and found them to be legit?
- If I cancel my account with AT&T, do they have any sort of blacklist that would prevent me from using them again in the future?
- Finally, I have a Best Buy gift card I'm trying to get rid of... if I made my purchase there, would I further complicate a cancellation (e.g. do they charge an additional termination fee)?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
- 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM #2
There shouldn't be any problem w/ a new owner activating. I sold my 3G when I got my 3GS and he just popped his SIM in.
I believe the new owner would have to be on contract, but I'm not sure. Probably depends if they're a new AT&T customer or not.
Haven't tried the trade-in sites.
I don't believe they do have a blacklist. As long as you don't currently owe them money and you can pass their credit check you should be ok.
I'm not positive, but I don't think you can buy iPhone's w/ Best Buy gift cards. I may be wrong though.
I think you'll be happy w/ the iPhone and depending on the area you live in, AT&T as well. If these don't work out and you decide to sell the iPhone, I would suggest jailbreaking and unlocking before doing so. You can get more $$$ for it that way.
- 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM #3iPhone Intermediate
- 154 Posts
I am glad to know that you are interested to switch in iphone from blackberry. I can ensure you that their will not be any sort of the problem you described about. Do not worry and be tension free to use iphone. As you know about it's service, you will get complete satisfaction guaranteed.
- 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM #4
- 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM #5
- See answer above. They default it to a contract, you have to be very specific when bringing your own hardware.
- You have to not be with AT&T for 6 months ( I think it's 6, might be 12 ) to be considered a "new" customer again.
- I don't know about the BestBuy thing, I don't think it should complicate anything though.