Battery charge time and cycle

tiptopjat

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a jailbroken 3GS running OS 3.1.2

I followed all the battery saving tips found here (http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/175102-iphone-battery-tips.html)

I typically spend 1 hour on voice calls during the day, use twitterific/facebook, iPod music, create/respond sms, fetch emails hourly and will spend a bit of time on games or browsing safari.

The maximum battery usage i get is 5 hours. It's a joke, I have to be close to a recharge point all day! I'm going to keep a log of my activity and screenshots of the battery usage time.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Also, my battery takes 1hr 15 mins to charge from flat to 100%. This seems very fast to me, is that right?

GDong#IM

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
That is about the right time it should take for 3GS to charge from zero to 100 in 1:15.
Regarding battery life, I think it is a little bit short. Are you having your Display ON while you are listening to music. The battery drains out a lot due to display. So the less power you use on the display, the more your battery life.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
restore as new. re-jb. etc..

having a charger near by (car, office or home) = fact of life with the iphone
it's just something that loyal users have become accustomed with.

tiptopjat

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
My display is always on sleep when I listen to music, I change tracks using the control on my earphones.

The only jailbroken app i use is bitesms, which is my default SMS client. I think I will restore once OS 4.0 is released, I'm hoping it with the bitesms functionality built in!

I went clubbing a few weeks ago and my battery died as I left the bar, leaving me stranded in central london after I'd lost all my friends! I felt like throwing my phone in the bin!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Do you have your phone set to never auto lock? This actually causes the battery to drop faster than if you choose the let it lock after X minutes option, even manually locking it.

I would get 4-6 hours with the former and closer to 12 with the latter, even with a comparative amount of use and lock time.

tiptopjat

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes, my phone is set to autolock after 1 minute. I have followed every single battery saving tip but it doesn't seem to make any difference!

tiptopjat

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I've changed email from push to fetch hourly and it has no effect on battery life. I'll change it manual, let's see if that helps battery. I won't hold my breath!

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Well, since JB and adding a 2nd Exchange account, my batt life has taken a hit but it depends again on awake time. If I use my phone on a normal day, I usually go through the day at about 50% usage. If I am at my desk and waking my phone at every message delivery and checking Twitter very often, it takes a big hit. Its all about screen awake time and intervals for me. I can keep my screen awake for long period of time with long breaks in between and I notice improved batt life. Its the on-off-on again multiple times an hour that kill me.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I would blame the jailbreak. it can and does break stuff, including battery life.

remember, jailbreak apps can do whatever they want, including run in the background constantly. it's a tradeoff for more control, you lose it at the same time

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it's more than coincidence that the majority of posts such as this, complaining of poor performance of the iPhone include the caveat "my phone is jailbroken"!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73