Autocorrect

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So here's a simple thing I'm trying to do that translates into some frustration that I have with iPhone's autocorrect. When I type "Im" or "im", I want that to be autocorrected to "I'm". Apostraphies are autocorrected easily on many words except the most obvious one! Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated :)

In general I'd say a user-defined dictionary would be a welcome addition to 4.0

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It should do I'm for you, one thing that took me some getting used to coming from a berry is I'll, on the berry I would type il space and it would do it for me but in the iPhone I have to type ill space to get it to make it into I'll.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Tap on the autocorrect entry and it will undo the change and learn. If you train it wrong it corrects wrong

IM is an abbreviation and should be all caps. The autocorrect is actually correct

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That didn't seem to work. Still when I type im it suggests IM. If I type i'm it suggests I'm. Like the OP said, it would be great if it would suggest I'm when I type im.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
The alternate is to type accurately. Going to an ' is two extra taps

That's really not the point. The iPhone is supposed to have a dictionary that "learns", which it really doesn't do. It learns when not to autocorrect but that's about it. Furthermore it does things that don't really make sense. If it knows that "doesnt" really means "doesn't", then it should learn that "Im" means "I'm". Not to mention that "Im" doesn't really even mean anything and shouldn't be in its dictionary :)

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That's really not the point. The iPhone is supposed to have a dictionary that "learns", which it really doesn't do. It learns when not to autocorrect but that's about it. Furthermore it does things that don't really make sense. If it knows that "doesnt" really means "doesn't", then it should learn that "Im" means "I'm". Not to mention that "Im" doesn't really even mean anything and shouldn't be in its dictionary :)

IM- abbreviation for instant messanger
im- the country code for the Isle of Man and a place Apple sells the iPhone
Im- a Korean name in English and another place they sell the iPhone.
I'm/i'm

How would you like it if your name or country was always changed to I'm?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If you did a reset of the keyboard settings, after entering IM on your iPhone the first time, it WILL give you IM. But, you have to correct it to I'm. Doing so will cause the iPhone to learn your word. Thus after a few attempts it will start to use I'm vs. IM.

I tested it last night\today, and it works as stated above.

That didn't seem to work. Still when I type im it suggests IM. If I type i'm it suggests I'm. Like the OP said, it would be great if it would suggest I'm when I type im.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
IM- abbreviation for instant messanger
im- the country code for the Isle of Man and a place Apple sells the iPhone
Im- a Korean name in English and another place they sell the iPhone.
I'm/i'm

How would you like it if your name or country was always changed to I'm?

I appreciate what you're saying, but...

1-Generally you type "IM" to mean instant message.
2-Can anyone remember the last time (or if ever!) they used "im" in a message referring to the Isle of Man?
3-See above, only substitute Korean last name for Isle of Man.

All I'm saying is that "I'm" is significantly more common usage than all those other examples and it's a bit frustrating that Apple OS doesn't allow for it. Blackberry OS, for example, has a user-defined dictionary where you can setup autocorrections for pretty much anything you want.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
If you did a reset of the keyboard settings, after entering IM on your iPhone the first time, it WILL give you IM. But, you have to correct it to I'm. Doing so will cause the iPhone to learn your word. Thus after a few attempts it will start to use I'm vs. IM.

I tested it last night\today, and it works as stated above.

Can you give an example of how that's done? If I type "Im", it leaves it at that. So then go back and change it to "I'm"...I did that five times. However it still leaves it at "Im" so I'm thinking that I did something incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Can you give an example of how that's done? If I type "Im", it leaves it at that. So then go back and change it to "I'm"...I did that five times. However it still leaves it at "Im" so I'm thinking that I did something incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.

For me too. Maybe I don't know how to teach it.

Kronk#IM

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to know more about this too. I don't have the "I'm" issue, but there are things I'd like to teach my new iPhone but I just can't seem to do it. It's frustrating considering I'm a technical instructor.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to know more about this too. I don't have the "I'm" issue, but there are things I'd like to teach my new iPhone but I just can't seem to do it. It's frustrating considering I'm a technical instructor.

From my experience it takes about a week or so for the iPhone to learn the way that you type. I have had mine since Dec and I almost never have to teach it anything new now. Just keep plugging away at it and it should learn the things you want it to over the next week or so.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Teach your iPhone new words

Remembered reading this a while ago....

"using Google to search for ?new? words actually forced the iPhone to retain them permanently."

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Remembered reading this a while ago....

"using Google to search for ?new? words actually forced the iPhone to retain them permanently."

Hmm, that's kinda cool, I use Google search every day so maybe that's why my phone learned them so fast.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner