not sure if i'm doing the right thing .... need help

hari.p

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
My stats :-
1. I'm using an iphone 3Gs.
2. Living in Hong Kong - but my network does not support 3G.
3. I receive close to 120 - 150 emails per day - many of them with quite heavy attachments.
4. I travel overseas v.frequently - almost every week.
5. I use ONLY 1 POP3 email a/c.

Problem
- - - - -
1. I noticed that sometimes the emails download quite fast .. sometimes even only text emails take time to load up - perhaps something to do with the network.
2. I also realised that i have no control over how an email attachment downloads - sometimes the attachments downloads - sometimes they download if i click on the icon. Locally its fine.. overseas, it adds up to a heavy bill.

* * What i wanted was some way to get notified of emails faster than the current pre-sent of 15 min
* * Plus i wanted some way to control my overseas roaming bills..

MY SOLUTION - this is where i'm stuck - i need to know if there's a better way :-
1. Auto forwarded all my emails to a gmail a/c.
2. Subscribed to mail notifer - that way i get almost instant notifications.
3. Installed Gmail for iphone on my iphone.

So now, when i travel,
a I turn off the email downloads
b When i get the notification,i simply click on the Gmail icon - and check and reply my emails online...

Can anybody relate to this .. or offer some advice if i can improve on this...

thank you very much for the help.

hari.p

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your help..
1. I tried mobileme - its fantastic.. but, i could not use my current email id for replies .. so i had to give it up.
2. Mail Notifier is reasonably ok ... until something better comes along..
3. As mentioned in my 1st post, i also had a problem with email attachments and was going online to check emails when out of town... is there any better solution to that..?
Thank you.

hari.p

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, i'm not sure if i understand your posts well..
1. Mobileme - u cannot change the outgoing server in mobileme - tried it - does'nt work.

2. POP3 a/c
- - i've forwarded it to gmail.
- - but in gmail, i've set my outgoing server as my 1 email id so its ok.

I only use 1 email a/c - pop3.

Thanks.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
you can change the outgoing server with MobileMe, now I am not sure you can change the address that the person sees it is coming from...

Does not Gmail offer push mail? Also I think Yahoo offers push mail

Push mail equals instant notification

hari.p

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for taking so much trouble to reply.... deeply appreciate..

1. Push - my main problem is not with push - because Mail Notifier is working quite well. With mobileme, when i tried it, it did not allow me to show my pop3 email id.

2. Email attachments - when roaming
a I travel v.frequently and i dont see any way to control the download of attachments.
b Only thing i could do is set up to forward all my emails to gmail and then check my gmail (online - using the iphone browser) when i get notified of any new messages.
Is there any better way to reduce the roaming cost ...

Thanks a lot.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
1) your iPhone will allow you to change your outgoing server... this may work

2a) there really isn't
2b) mobile doesn't download till I tell it too, so the roaming still happens but not the huge kb that goes with it

hari.p

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
oh... so you're using iphone mail app when roaming .. and u dont land up with very heavy roaming charges?
that's very interesting - i'm travelling day after tomorrow - will give it a shot.
thanks.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I didn't say that, I was asking you...there os no ,ethod which will save you on roaming, but I notice that with mobile me unless I select any attached file it is not downloaded automattically

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner