- iPhone Nanite
- 9 Posts
I have wanted to be able to have 2 Active Sync email accounts since getting my iPhone, and now, finally I can. A new app (Jailbreak) has been released and it allows you to add a second Active Sync email/contacts/calendar account to your iPhone. I tested with GMail, and it is working like a charm. My next step will be the real test - getting it to work with my home Exchange server (in addition to my work Exchange server).
If your iPhone is Jailbroken and you have wanted to be able to sync fully with work and personal systems, now you can.
Note - the limit is two accounts. Three would be nice, - maybe someday.
- 01-17-2010, 08:25 PM #2
- 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM #3
- 01-18-2010, 06:55 AM #4
- 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM #5
- 01-20-2010, 03:48 AM #6
- 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM #7
- 01-21-2010, 12:53 AM #8
Also signing in under a *bugmenot* name and promoting an app in another app's thread...way to go.
- 01-21-2010, 01:23 AM #9
- 01-21-2010, 01:27 AM #10
It will be up again tomorrow afternoon (US Time) which is usually when the BigBoss repo does their sync of all the updates they receive.
EDIT: Link from iWatcher if you don't want to wait that long for the new update coming - hxxp://plugin.name/apt.iwatcher.net/debs/UmIkKMHhMQIfhbW3whggLA/addexchange_1.2.deb
Last edited by GSquared; 01-21-2010 at 01:37 AM.
- 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM #11
- 01-21-2010, 02:31 AM #12
- 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM #13
- 01-21-2010, 07:56 AM #14
- 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM #15
- 01-21-2010, 01:50 PM #16
As for battery life, I have many addons running on my phone including this one and use my phone for at least an hour a day for talk and more for internet, and I usually have about 30% when I am done for the day.
Last edited by GSquared; 01-21-2010 at 01:54 PM.
- 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM #17
- 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM #18
- 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM #19
I am having issues with my email accounts after installing AddExchange. I am getting a "cannot connect to server" error with the new exchange email address. The old accounts work fine. I have tried to uninstall the new email address, restore to old email, and uninstall AddExchange. That did not solve. Also, getting a certificate error from my mail server, as well. Mail is working fine on Windows machine through Outlook 2010.