Speaker And Metal Fragments?

StinkyPeas

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I just recently purchased the iPhone 3g 8gb model, coming over from the palm pre:D(i am much happier i might add). I went through about four pre's because the speakers just seemed to blow out after about a week's time. It wasnt until i did some investigation and found out my work was the culprit. I'm a welder and metal grinder and lots of tiny metal fragments fly by my head daily and those fragments seemed to get into the speaker of the pre and blow it out. I was just wondering if anyone has any background knowledge about this for the iphone because if i could avoid blowing out my iphone speaker i would like to! I'm sorry if this has already been posted but to my best efforts i could not find anything about this problem.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
So if I understand you right this happens when you put the phone to your ear. If that is the case I would try using a bluetooth headset instead of holding the phone to your ear. Otherwise I would invest in a good case to keep the metal out of your iphone. Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

StinkyPeas

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the quick response and warm welcome. But no actually this happened while the phone was in my pocket of all things. I would like to have my phone in my work without keeping it in a zip lock bag:rolleyes:

StinkyPeas

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot i will probably try one of these cases. Another quick question if my speaker would happen to blow out do u think the warranty would cover it or no?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot i will probably try one of these cases. Another quick question if my speaker would happen to blow out do u think the warranty would cover it or no?

Umm I don't think so, not if they could see the metal flakes in the speaker. I don't think even Apple Care would cover that.

jnickell

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I would like to 3rd the otterbox - you can usually try it at an AT&T store, but they are more expensive there. I have heard that if you take them into the Apple store and talk to a Genius rep in person they will fix or cover almost anything to keep a customer happy other than obvious abuse. If you keep it in your pocket and an otterbox and argue that there is something wrong with the phone that even with that protection it can't make it in your pocket, they might be inclined to work with you on at least one. I wouldn't tell them you went through 3 pre's first though...

StinkyPeas

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yea i was gonna keep the amount of pre's that i went through hush hush. i did some research and found absolutely nothing on this subject with the iphone. Now when it comes to the pre its all over the web. So I think maybe this is just a pre thing since the speaker was much bigger (not louder tho) and much more open an area. Well wish me luck because until my otterbox gets here a piece of tape on my current case will have to do!

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
put your iPhone in a zip lock bag then place it in your pocket while at work lol... thats what i used to do when i used to work in a sheet metal factory as i used to have issues with my cell phones as well :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner