Is the extended warranty worth it?

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Well just about a week ago the home button on my iphone started acting up. It was extremly hard to press and get to work at times, so i took it to my local apple store for them to take a look at it......They ended up changing out the touchscreen, and home button to fix it and now it works great! I asked the guy behind the desk how much it would have cost me to get it done out of warranty and they said $199.99:eek:.....Here is my question, would buying the apple protection plan extended warranty be worth it, or should i just bypass it and hope for the best? And what exactly does the extended warranty cover? Thanks for all of the help in advance~Chris

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Well just about a week ago the home button on my iphone started acting up. It was extremly hard to press and get to work at times, so i took it to my local apple store for them to take a look at it......They ended up changing out the touchscreen, and home button to fix it and now it works great! I asked the guy behind the desk how much it would have cost me to get it done out of warranty and they said $199.99:eek:.....Here is my question, would buying the apple protection plan extended warranty be worth it, or should i just bypass it and hope for the best? And what exactly does the extended warranty cover? Thanks for all of the help in advance~Chris

It's a good plan, I have apple care on all of my apple products. Macbook pro, iPhone and iTouch

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It's a good plan, I have apple care on all of my apple products. Macbook pro, iPhone and iTouch

So you bought the seperate plan correct, just so i know what we're talking about. I must say that the Apple customer service was great! They just checked for water damage, and then fixed it......I think the iphone apple extended plan was only 69.00

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
So you bought the seperate plan correct, just so i know what we're talking about. I must say that the Apple customer service was great! They just checked for water damage, and then fixed it......I think the iphone apple extended plan was only 69.00

Yes different plan on all devices. Spendy but worth it to me.

Jay-Lee

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't feel up to getting it since I tend to change phones every few months. Have it on my macbook pro though and I must admit it feels good to have it.

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Apple Care

I have it on my iPhone and iMac. The iMac recently died and the local Apple Store was unable to repair it in 3 days of trying, so they completely replaced my iMac with a brand new one. More memory, larger HD etc.

The Apple care plan is well worth the spend, as it extends the warranty for an additional 2 years.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I have it on my iPhone and iMac. The iMac recently died and the local Apple Store was unable to repair it in 3 days of trying, so they completely replaced my iMac with a brand new one. More memory, larger HD etc.

The Apple care plan is well worth the spend, as it extends the warranty for an additional 2 years.

After the additional 2 years is up, can you extend again or is it just a one time thing?

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
After two years?

Sorry, I don't know about purchasing an additional warranty after the initial 2 year extension is expired. I can't imagine having this phone that long into the future, so I guess I never thought about it.

You have to purchase Apple Care before the 1 year original warranty expires.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A very very high percentage of any problems/defects will arise within the first year. If you make it past that you will most likely be fine.

Also know that the extended Apple Care protection is just an extension of the 1 year warranty you already have. It does NOT cover screen breakage, accidental damage, or any damage you cause. Only defects in the iPhone, like a button that stops working or the touch screen stops responding.

IMO the extended Apple Care is not worth it. It cost me $24/year to add my iPhone to my homeowner's insurance as a floater policy and it covers everything that could possibly happen.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
A very very high percentage of any problems/defects will arise within the first year. If you make it past that you will most likely be fine.

Also know that the extended Apple Care protection is just an extension of the 1 year warranty you already have. It does NOT cover screen breakage, accidental damage, or any damage you cause. Only defects in the iPhone, like a button that stops working or the touch screen stops responding.

IMO the extended Apple Care is not worth it. It cost me $24/year to add my iPhone to my homeowner's insurance as a floater policy and it covers everything that could possibly happen.

No that is not right, I know that the plan on my macbook pro DOES cover anything except loss or theft. No sure where you got your info but I think you are mistaken.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No that is not right, I know that the plan on my macbook pro DOES cover anything except loss or theft. No sure where you got your info but I think you are mistaken.

Info is straight from Apple. They are different products. On the iPhone it only extends the coverage of defects, no coverage for damage.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_iPhone_English_v5.2.pdf

b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse.

Call your homeowners or renters insurance company and ask them about covering your iPhone. Most likely much cheaper and will actually cover the phone, if it breaks they cut you a check and you just go buy a new one.

Last edited:

graybryan

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Sting is right. I have AppleCare for my MacBook, and it's saved me some money. However, I don't have it for my iPhone. Like Sting says, if I don't see and defects or anything within a year, I probably won't. I spend $14.99 a month on Best Buy's Black Tie Protection Plan. Whatever I do to my cell phone, I just take it back and get a new one. No deductible. No waiting. Sounds like a good choice on my part.

DaReaper911

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
My whole problem with buying the plan is that i get an new iphone every time one comes out.. so i'd be just wasting my money but thats me

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I got the two year plan, albeit I'm not sure why. I plan on getting a new iPhone everytime one comes out.

But, looking at the edit options for my warranty, it appears I can switch to a new device for the remainder of the plan.

I guess after 27th Jan 2010; we'll see, won't we ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711