Battery weirdness

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if anyone else has seen this on a 3GS.

Two times this week, I noticed my battery percentage dropping rapidly (1% every minute or two) even though I wasn't doing anything with the phone.

Turning it off/on seemed to stop the rapid slide.

When I plug the phone in and the percentage immediately jumps from less than 10 percent to 30+ percent.

I suspect that the GPS app Waze has something to do with it.

Mark

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
You may want to try letting your battery completely die (i.e. iPhone turns off) and then charge completely. This will generally reset your battery meter. It may or may not be a battery meter problem.

You think it may be a GPS app? Do you have these weird battery issues when the app is open? Otherwise I don't think it could be the app because apps don't run in the background and shouldn't be using up battery life if the app isn't open (unless you're jailbroken?). And if yo do suspect the app, try deleting it and seeing if the problem persists.

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know for certain that the app is causing it. It has only happened twice but I did use the app the days that it occurred.

What's really odd is that the battery level steps to above 30% when I plug it in.

Someone on another forum suggested the app was causing a memory leak but I never associated a memory leak with excessive power consumption. Then again, I'm not convinced that the battery level is actually declining.

Mark

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have seen this before, too. Sometimes the percentage (when not plugged in) will stay on a percentage for an extended period (like an hour or so, running video). Doing what llofte suggested (completely running it down) fixed it. I think Apple recommends doing this once a month to keep the meter calibrated.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have seen this before, too. Sometimes the percentage (when not plugged in) will stay on a percentage for an extended period (like an hour or so, running video). Doing what llofte suggested (completely running it down) fixed it. I think Apple recommends doing this once a month to keep the meter calibrated.

Your right apple says to let it die all the way at least once a month. To the OP I am almost sure that it is not related to the app, as iPhone apps do not run in the BG unless as another poster said you have jailbroken your phone. I also have never heard of a mem leak with the iPhone, just with blackberrys.

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
It isn't jailbroken - plain 3GS.

I do try to remember to take it to cold iron every month or so.

Very odd.

Mark

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2