What is this firmware and all this other stuff I see?

shermie

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey, could someone help me out. What is this firmware and all this other stuff I see? Is that software you HAVE to download or need? If so, what else would I have to up on the phone? Thanks :D

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
The firmware is the operating software of the phone. So, to answer your question, yes that is needed software otherwise your phone would not be able to operate. However, you don't need the latest version, but if you want to have the latest features and functionality of the iPhone, you would need to upgrade to the most current version which is 3.1.2. You would do this by connecting your iPhone to your computer and clicking on the "Check for update" button in the iPhone summary tab.

If you are jailbroken, however, I suggest you do some searching on these forums to find out what you need to do in order to back up all of your jailbroken goodies before you upgrade firmware. However, since you're new to iPhone, my guess is you're not jailbroken therefore I suggest you look into it because it's very easy and very neat.

As far as your second question goes, I have no idea what you're asking, haha. Please rephrase it. Thanks.

Last edited:

shermie

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I got a used i that is jailbroken/unlocked and waiting to recieve it. It is already updated with the 3.2.1 firmware. I guess I see other's talking about I guess, other types of software that they have uped on to the phone. I don't remember exactly what the one I'm thinking of was...something with a C? Anyway, for what I need to do, there's more on this phone then I'm sure I'll ever get to or really need. Thanks so much for helping be understand all this...

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hey, no problem. I'm happy to help out and if you need anything else, just let me or anyone here know. I'm sure most would be willing to help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro