If you're on the fence about getting an iPhone or upgrading to the 3GS.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone! Even though I've been a registered member for a while (two iPhone 3G's, and this is my 2nd 3GS), this is the first time that I'm keeping one. :D

Apple has come a LONG way since OS 3.0. I have never typed so incredibly fast and so unbelievably accurately. I would tell anyone who is on the fence because you have the issues that I have had with the iPhone, to go for it. The lack of a physical keyboard had been one major reason for my not wanting to get an iPhone, but now, I actually prefer the virtual keyboard over having to depress physical keys on the many full QWERTY keyboards that I had been using, most recently my BlackBerry Bold 9000. Ironically, I had considered that particular BlackBerry my most "complete and overall best suited PDA for me, ever". My girlfriend is an attorney, and she's loving it over her previous BB.

I also specifically like the 3GS over the 3G model, as she S really makes a huge difference for me with its 1GHz processor and 7.2Mbps capabilities. Often times, you will read reviews that claim that the 3GS doesn't have any compelling new features over the 3G, and instead is simply a scheme to make money on the part of Apple. Well, yes, that is true, but if you're like me, and you detest any kind of lag or having to wait due to a slow processor or slow 3G connection, the 3GS is for you. The Compass, Voice Control (what am I controlling exactly?), and Voice Memos are little more than novelty apps to me. It is the under-the-hood, the non-tangible improvements, and very much the refined OS 3.1 what make the 3GS an awesome device for me at this time, as opposed to pre-OS 3.1 improvements.

I am even super impressed with it without jailbreaking it, and I had not taken the idea of working (and playing) with the iPhone seriously, without jailbreaking it first.

Speaking of which, where do I download blackra1n's JB tool which also unlocks it? lol...I actually don't really care about the unlocking part, but I do want to JB it. I understand that it the response to Apple's attempt to prevent any more jailbreaking with OS 3.1.2, took all of forty-eight hours to thwart, is that right? Haha...I love it!

One thing you will want to find out is as to whether or not AT&T has sufficient coverage for your specific needs in your area. I don't think anyone could have missed all the recent badmouthing of AT&T that is going on. I, for one, cannot complain. I'm in Los Angeles, and I usually have excellent coverage where I go. I also enjoy full bars on 3G (-70dBm to be exact), in my house, which is on a hill to boot.

Almost every time that I have done speed tests with the popular Speed Test app from Ookla, I get higher than 1000kbps, or 1Mbps, for downlink speeds...inside my house! I would have been happy with anything over 750kbps. Does anyone know if 7.2Mbps is indeed turned on, and/or if there is 850MHz 3G coverage in L.A.? According to the AT&T rep when I picked up my iPhone, 7.2Mbps has not been rolled out yet. This is actually good news, because of the aforementioned speeds.

I hope this helps someone, especially those who need a nudge. (...oh, and about that jailbreak software...;) ). I appreciate it!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
To download blackra1n go to blackweather from there, download the windows ( or mac ) software you need. It will allow you to install Cydia and blacksn0w ( if necessary to unlock ) after the jailbreak goes through.

If your 3GS is new, and has the new bootloader, it will be a TETHERED jailbreak. For more information on that, search in the jailbreak forums before you do the jailbreak.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Wow...thank you! :) Yea, I do believe that I have the new bootloader, because when it said that it had a new update available, even though it had OS 3.1.2 already, it was probably the patch for the new bootloader. Damned, lol...I guess I should not have done that, huh?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The bootloader is NOT something updated through iTunes nor can it be altered once you have the iPhone. You should check your serial number, if the 4th and 5th digits are greater than 40, there's a very good chance you have the new serial number, if it's around 40 or 41 you might get lucky.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Wow, this was the fastest, simplest jailbreak ever! I'm installing Cydia right now...the two digits are 46. What does this mean for me? Yikes! I gotta donate. You guys are awesome.

Oh, and should I do the "always update signature hashes" on Cydia? I also read something about that it might be "15 seconds faster"!?

EDIT: Um...I installed MxTube, dTunes, and a package that includes the Safari plug-in. The last installation through Cydia needed a reboot, and now it's showing the logo with the white USB cable with an arrow pointing to iTunes. When I start iTunes, it says it found the iPhone in "recovery mode", and that the device needs to be restored!? Did I mess something up? I can't boot anymore.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I believe with the newer 3Gs models (those with the aforementioned serials of greater than "40"), you have to have a tethered jailbreak, meaning anytime you reboot or turn off the phone you will have to re-jailbreak it with a computer. Search for tethered jailbreak and there should be more information about the specifics that elude me at this early hour.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Just plug the iPhone into your computer and re-run blackra1n. It will keep all of your settings. Very simple. This will have to be done anytime you reboot or let the phone die.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Coolness...Yup, that did the trick. Thanks to all! That's not really a biggie. I'm always charging it and I'm usually near a laptop 24/7. I guess I'll need a car charger, and one of those emergency extended power...umm...thingy's. haha...

Sooner or later, there'll be another fix for that. Come 3.2 at the latest I guess...

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah there is a rumor that GeoHot said he will fix the tethered JB once 3.2 is released. Even though I have an old 3GS I don't think it would bother me too
much being tethered. I charge my phone every night and I never turn off my phone or re-boot it unless an app that is installed via Rock prompts me to restart.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Right...The only time that I have had to reboot is when two apps that I downloaded from Cydia required it. Does the iPhone 3GS ever crash? lol... I have put it through a lot of tests before deciding that I was definitively switching to it from my Bold, and it operates seamlessly, consistently, and very fast, both thanks to its awesome processor, and AT&T happens to be working great all over L.A. At least the parts that I frequent. When is OS 3.2 supposed to come out anyway?