Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default How shock proof is the iPhone ?

Well, I'll tell you. (This was not voluntary)
    Yesterday I was flying -upside down, top of a loop- open cockpit, yes I know, should have been more careful with my pockets... we parted company at about 3000 feet above Berkshire; it just... flew off, nothing doing, gone before I could react. There I was hoping no one would be at the receiving end.
    Now, for the good news: A friend and I called my number immediately after landing, and... it rang and I could hear myself asking the caller to leave a message. Yes it was working perfectly !!
    I did try and ask O2 if they could triangulate the signals so it could have helped me retrieveing it from some field, but they declined to do so.
    So I am waiting for the replacement.
    Solid build ?
    Know any better ?
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

Your voicemail message is on an o2 server. Otherwise your message would not work when the phone is off

vm doesn't mean it's still working
    iMore Pro

575 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,327 Global Posts

yeah, unfortunately, the fact that it rang on your end means nothing. i could throw mine in a pool and it would still ring and give voicemail if somone called it. now if you had mobileme, you could find it!
    iPhone Beginner

92 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Hah! that would be a good mac commercial.. some dude flyin around and drops his iphone and it still works.. !!!

your phone might pretend to ring but believe me when I say that the iPhone was not built to withstand more than a toddler throwing it against things..MUCH LESS a 3000 foot drop to WhoTF knows where.. unless by some miracle it hit a pillow, that was on top of a bed, on top of another bed, 2800 feet above ground.
    iMore Intermediate

482 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,143 Global Posts

I doubt it's in one piece...sorry man.