Major battery issues on 3GS

josh.hofer

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
My battery percentage is dropping, and dropping FAST. About 40% in less than an hour, with VERY LITTLE useage.

wifi is off.
bluetooth is off.
email is set to manual.
push on select apps.
coverage area is near perfect.
never been jailbroken.
3GS
Most recent OS installed.

Anyone have any advice? Have you seen this before? :confused:

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I haven't ... I was thinking about doing that, but it's such a damn hassle that I wanted to do that only as a last resort. Think it would be helpful? Has this happened to you?

I think it would be helpful, This has not happened to be I've only has a small battery decrease. If a restore as new does not work take your iPhone to Apple and they will most likely give you a new phone.

josh.hofer

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I think it would be helpful, This has not happened to be I've only has a small battery decrease. If a restore as new does not work take your iPhone to Apple and they will most likely give you a new phone.

Yeah, I had called them first for advice and said they would prob do that if it didn't work itself out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing a backup and then a restore will be a seemless process minus whatever music I have on my iPhone, correct?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I had called them first for advice and said they would prob do that if it didn't work itself out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing a backup and then a restore will be a seemless process minus whatever music I have on my iPhone, correct?

Your asking if doing a Backup and Restore will be easy?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I have done it once before with my 3G on OS 2.0 and I remember it being simple enough, but that I had to readd all the music by 'hand' and sync that again. Is that still the case?

Its pretty simple, iTunes will do most of the work for you! The easiest way to sync music is to put it into a playlist and sync the hole playlist.

josh.hofer

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Gotcha, I am going to give one more thing a shot before I go to the restore option.

Thanks for spending time with me sir, I appreciate it.

3GSfan

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
My new 3GS suddenly started getting hot and draining the battery very quickly (2-4 hours). It had been working fine for 6-7 weeks. I did a complete erase and restore, to no avail. The second time, I didn?t restore and -no more hot iPhone, so that proved it wasn?t hardware.
When I reset and restored again, all was well!
So, my experience is, do a backup and you won?t lose anything. It's relatively painless.

BTW -I reset my (old) 3G before I sold it, and that took well over an hour, but the 3GS completes this in a minute or two. Is this normal? Any feed back would be appreciated.

josh.hofer

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I wiped the phone clean and restored from a backup last night... at first it looked like most of my issues went away (random super slowness and general lag when doing almost anything).

But, after a few hours (after being charged to 100%) the battery meter started dropping super fast out of no where. So maybe somehow the battery is screwed.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar today... I am hoping the can figure this out without giving me a brand new phone (with a new UUID) because then my beta apps are going to get screwed. Bleck.

Everyone cross their fingers with me, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2