Yahoo Push not working on my 3GS

sft109

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
First time Iphone user here. Got the 3GS on Monday, great device, love the functionality, operation and just about everything - pratically a computer in your pocket though using it heavily sure makes the battery drain fast.

Everything is working great so far except Yahoo mail is not pushing my emails. It was definetely working the first two days but since yesterday I have not been getting my emails pushed. I do get them when I open the mail app and it checks, then they do show up, all the settings are correct and unchanged from before. Anyone know what the cause is? I assume this is on either Yahoo's or my network carriers end? (Fido in Canada).

I've also heard mixed things about using push with regards to battery life - some say it consumes less some more. Right now I have 2 accounts the Yahoo one on push and another one set to fetch every hour. Would I better off batterywise setting Yahoo to fetch every hour too or is the difference negligible?

Thanks.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
have you tried putting it in airplane mode and back out of it? sometimes your phone loses the connection. sometime the server isn't working. sometimes it's your network, like if a commercial wifi network blocks something

push uses less battery life if you get very few emails. if you get a lot of emails it can use the same or more (think of of it fetching every 15 minutes if you get no email for hours vs pushing emails every 2 minutes)

sft109

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestions but I even tried a hard reset holding down power/home button and it made no difference but I will try again. As for battery life the Yahoo account probably gets 5-6 emails a day on average so it seems like push shouldn't use much battery life. Appreciate the response.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
You'll find that your beef with the Yahoo push being unreliable is a "feature" of the iPhone as I have. While I like my iPhone, I hate this spotty service I get. Sometimes it works fine, whereas sometimes you just won't know if you got an email unless you open the application.

If you want more reliable push, get a gmail account set up thru the exchange slot on the phone. I'm not talking about setting up gmail by way of fetch on the phone btw. Set it up thru the Exhange set up. Otherwise, just learn to live with the spotty Yahoo push on the iPhone.