Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,862 Global Posts

Default Why would google want the iphone to have its navigation?

I've seen people struggle with this, especially those who are android fans and hate the iphone.

But android will take off. Google doesn't care if you buy an iphone or an android device..so long as you use google apps. Google's revenue is through ads. And the iphone has millions of users that google desperately would love to keep using google.

We'll respect your multitouch patents if you'll continue to spotlight our maps (and upcoming Nav) on your homescreen (as well as google search in safari). Win win for both. Shake hands.

It's from this prospective that i'd have a hard time switching to Android. Google has no incentive to provide the user with up to date features. Google provides no support for me, the end user. Instead, it's more of trusting HTC, Moto, (insert maker), and the carrier.

Apple (or even Palm or RIM) may be arrogant and close minded, but they do depend on selling devices. Incentive is there to provide features. If i need support, i go to Apple.

Here's another reason why I couldn't go with android. 2.0 is out. But it's not out for those android owners unless they bought the Droid. Sure, HTC and some others said it's coming soon. But even google said sorry folks it depends on your device manufacturer and carrier if they want to upgrade.

That's not good enough.
    iMore Intermediate

363 Posts
    Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

Yeah, Android seems to be going about it all wrong. iDon't upgrade firmware should be one of the things it lists in the Droid commercials.