mysterious shutoff

thehteory

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I woke up this morning took my phone off the charger(3g, OS3.1) and checked my email as per usual. 20-30 minutes later I took my phone out of my pocket to check for a response and my phone was dead. My phone has mysteriously shut off a few times before so I thought no big deal, this time it wouldn't turn back on.

I only get a response from my phone when I plug it into the wall (not a usb port on any of my machines), my phone will display the apple as per normal bootup but it only gets that far and shuts down and becomes unresponsive(until I hit the hold button again, the process repeats).

I can manage to boot the phone into DFU, but only while it is plugged into the wall. If I try and plug it into the machine after getting the "connect to itunes" screen the phone dies in the process.

I contacted my provider (Rogers) and they promptly told me that my phone was out of warranty (by 1 month) and they would provide me with a refurbished 3g (8gb) for $450.

Has anyone experienced this behavior or have suggestions outside of canceling my contract with rogers?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Where in Canada are you located? it's good to see another Canadian. You should check on the Apple site if the phone still has warranty with Apple, then it would be a simple process of taking it to an Apple Store and having it replaced. Even if it doesn't have warranty make a Genius Bar appointment and take the phone in, they might have some way to get it working again.

thehteory

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I am on the east coast, and unfortunately my phone is out of warranty (less then 2 months) and there are no Apple stores in my area. The few times i've visted the genius bar I end up watching them go through everything I've already tried.

As of now, Rogers has given me the option of downgrading to a different phone (at retail cost) or if I want an Iphone (which I do) my cheapest option is under their lost/stolen/broken program where they will give me a refurbished 3g (8gb) for $499.99+taxes. They wouldnt even offer me an early upgrade to the 3gs like they were doing for 3g customers only a few months back.

I am contemplating closing all of my rogers services (which includes another iPhone (3gs) among other things) out of sheer frustration.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well at this point you could search the net and send your phone to one of those we fix it guys. I can't see that it could be majorly screwed. OK try this since you have nothing to lose. Plug the phone in to a USB on your computer, not a hub it needs full power the phone is a hog. Leave it plugged in overnight then the next morning hold the power button for 5 minutes and see if anything happens. When the phone is dead/off open iTunes and hold down the home button plug the phone in to your cable. Also have you tried a different cable on your computer?

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I was having a similar problem. My phone was getting shutoff 3 or 4 times daily. Hitting the power button and home button did not turn it back on, nor did hooking it up to a power source. What I had to do was a restart - i.e. push the home button + power button at the same time.
Same thing happened to one of my friend also.

thehteory

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I am considering getting the phone fixed, but don't like the idea of having to send it away, wait for a quote, etc especially if the cost for repairing the phone is anywhere near replacement value.

Ipheuria:
I have tried everything you have suggested, outside of holding the power down for five minutes (I did so for probably 2mins with no response). But I will give it another shot.

Sting7k:
My phone doesnt respond when plugged in via usb (tried several machines/cables) at all.

The thing that really gets me is that It will go through initial boot up when plugged into the wall (I see the apple) and then the screen shuts off. This process will repeat if I keep hitting the sleep button. I can get the phone to display "connect to itunes" again only when plugged into the wall, but dies the second I unplug it in an attempt to connect to itunes.

I think the battery has malfunctioned and cannot hold a charge (without providing any symptoms previously) or there is a short happening somehow.

Thanks for the input!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox