App Store: Barrier of Entry?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Well. I am currently in the back seat of a car going down the 404 listening to the latest tipb podcast. Rene and the crew were discussing iPhone app store app values and what not and it made me think. The old discussion of well. An app got 99 cents or a couple of bucks is cheaper than getting a coffee. Think about it. Here in Canada that's a toonie or a loonie. Well then. Why do they not sell like hotcakes every time an app comes out. Please keep in mind. The app store is no failure. 2 billion downloads and counting. When I saythat thy don't sell like hotcakes I mean individual apps. Ok. I am a 16 year old kid. I enjoy my iPhone. And love my apps. But. I have never got a paid app. I have never once bought and item from the app store. I use free apps and jailbroken apps in the cydia thing. So. Why. Well. I would love to get my apps. I am not short in cash. But why is it so much harder to spend money on a virtual shelf then a real one. Hell. Five minutes ago I bought new headphones without giving it a second thought. Now. For me personally, a credit card is a diving line. I don't have one. Can't get one yet. And my parents aren't too fond of linking it with iTunes. With that in mind I know most all people don't have that issue. But it is one of them. I would appreciate of apple could actually let canadians use our gift cards for iTunes to buy apps. I know you can in America. But why not Canada. Anyway. I think that the app store is so much harder to spend money on because it is so distant from the consumer. Going to the brick and mortar shop to buy a product is old and reconizable. The app store. Not so much. With that being said I think that the only thing to change this is time. We just need to give people time to adjust to online purchases of apps and other online media. Things like xbox live arcade and playstation network games experience the same thing. So those are my opinions on why the app store has a barrier of entry. What are yours. Does this even make sense. Man. My thumbs hurt. This whole thing was typed on my iPhone. Yay?

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Well. I am currently in the back seat of a car going down the 404 listening to the latest tipb podcast. Rene and the crew were discussing iPhone app store app values and what not and it made me think. The old discussion of well. An app got 99 cents or a couple of bucks is cheaper than getting a coffee. Think about it. Here in Canada that's a toonie or a loonie. Well then. Why do they not sell like hotcakes every time an app comes out. Please keep in mind. The app store is no failure. 2 billion downloads and counting. When I saythat thy don't sell like hotcakes I mean individual apps. Ok. I am a 16 year old kid. I enjoy my iPhone. And love my apps. But. I have never got a paid app. I have never once bought and item from the app store. I use free apps and jailbroken apps in the cydia thing. So. Why. Well. I would love to get my apps. I am not short in cash. But why is it so much harder to spend money on a virtual shelf then a real one. Hell. Five minutes ago I bought new headphones without giving it a second thought. Now. For me personally, a credit card is a diving line. I don't have one. Can't get one yet. And my parents aren't too fond of linking it with iTunes. With that in mind I know most all people don't have that issue. But it is one of them. I would appreciate of apple could actually let canadians use our gift cards for iTunes to buy apps. I know you can in America. But why not Canada. Anyway. I think that the app store is so much harder to spend money on because it is so distant from the consumer. Going to the brick and mortar shop to buy a product is old and reconizable. The app store. Not so much. With that being said I think that the only thing to change this is time. We just need to give people time to adjust to online purchases of apps and other online media. Things like xbox live arcade and playstation network games experience the same thing. So those are my opinions on why the app store has a barrier of entry. What are yours. Does this even make sense. Man. My thumbs hurt. This whole thing was typed on my iPhone. Yay?

Yup, Ive been wanting this for a long time however there is a Canadian law stating store credit cannot be used to purchase software.

Jasond

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
You know, I have a few buddies that like to bet on horses, they would never bet more than $2 or $3 at a time. There's this channel on comcast cable in my local area that similcasts horse races. So they would watch that and then go online to make bets at some website, which I can't quite remember the name of at the moment. Either way, what I'm trying to get to is they always went to a gas station and bought $50 visa gift cards so the bookies could never take them for more than $50. Would visa, master card, or Amex gift cards work?

Jay

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2