Do Apps servers ever go away?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i've been having issues with my mobile me and becuase of that have started using gpush until i get mobile me sorted out. this got me to thinking, how long are apps like gpush going to be around? is it possible that one day the developer just decides he doesnt want to run the servers that make the app work and just shut down? is there any kind of contract with apple where they have to keep the app supported for x number of years, months or whatever? just something that got me thinking. :eek:

frog_IM

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
That's my major issue with Push Notifications. Regardless whether or not they are better for battery life... they've put a burden on developers to run notification servers, just so our apps are useful. Many of these developers are tiny, and aren't making much money on the AppStore. Indeed many are Uni students, doing it as a hobby rather than a business!

Big problem in a few years...

Hakala

Mar 20, 2009
forum.theiphoneblog.com
I'd say that even though a dev can shut down the server whenever they want to, its HIGHLY unlikely. Especially in your case with GPush, whereas if they wanted to shut down the server due to financial problems or whatever, they would give good time to either live without the app or find a new one. But i do see it as HUGE problem in the future when after two years or running their server, its just too much.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77