wifi - on or off?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Morning all -

I've been using wifi a bit more lately, but mainly for downloading apps over 10MB.

What I want to know is, do you tend to just leave your wifi on all the time, or?

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I only turn it on when I know I can access wifi. Otherwise, I think it uses up battery power searching for a wifi signal, no? I also hate seeing pop ups asking me if I want to connect to all these secured connections that I don't have a password to. LOL

pvdnh

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I rarely use wifi, just for downloading apps or when I'm surfing the web at school because it is quicker than using 3g. My school is like a reception black hole.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Morning all -

I've been using wifi a bit more lately, but mainly for downloading apps over 10MB.

What I want to know is, do you tend to just leave your wifi on all the time, or?

I put my iPhone in "Airplane Mode" at bedtime. This saves re-charge time.

I sometimes turn it off because I think that trying to use "closed" access points keeps it from using 3G.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I leaven it on all the time. If you turn off ask to join networks it doesn't seem to effect the battery and search all the time, only when I go to it in options and then it scans. Otherwise it just auto joins networks it already knows, which is nice.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
With my 2g I left it on all the time but since I got my 3Gs, I've been turning it off when I leave home.

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I usually just leave it on all the time. If I turn it off, I'll forget to turn it back on until after I've tried to access data and it's really slow (I only have EDGE network where I live). It's annoying to have to close the app, go into settings to turn on wifi, then go back into the app. That's why mine stays on always.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I've been turning it off when I'm away from the office or the house. Battery life on the 3Gs isn't stellar (at least in the week I've had it, it hasn't been), so I figure the fewer things on, the better. Maybe a carryover from how I used my previous Bold.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time. I do turn off the option to connect to networks automatically. I can't use Wi-Fi at work or else I would have to adhere to the internet filters. Who wants to adhere to any rules in the first place?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I leaven it on all the time. If you turn off ask to join networks it doesn't seem to effect the battery and search all the time, only when I go to it in options and then it scans. Otherwise it just auto joins networks it already knows, which is nice.

+1 i do the exact same thing

joseedwin

May 6, 2009
Visit site
i leave my wifi on, but i have off the option where it will ask me to join new networks. as long as it recognizes my work and my home router--i am good