Can any of you 3gs users see the red light next to yor earpiece?

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this last night when getting off a call. I did a search and all I could find were people talkin about water damage or that the sensor should be invisable. It isn't constant, only when making a phone call. In a pitch black room it is easy to see you have to put your hand over it and move it. When the screen comes on so does the light. My phone has never been wet either.

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
The inky time I've ever seen it was after my iPhone took a dive under water. Perhaps you have gotten some condensation builing up. I'd check the water sensors to make sure there isn't condensation or whatever anywhere else!

shwy

Oct 5, 2008
Visit site
Two of those are sensors that turn the screen off when you put the phone up to your ear on a call. The other one is to sense the brightness of your surroundings and to adjust the screen brightness accordingly.

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
So I guess I am the only one that can see this light?:)

It isn't constant and you can only see it in the pitch black while on a phone call and moving your fingers over the sensors.

Anyone want to at least try the experiment and report back?:)

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So I guess I am the only one that can see this light?:)

It isn't constant and you can only see it in the pitch black while on a phone call and moving your fingers over the sensors.

Anyone want to at least try the experiment and report back?:)

They aren't lights, they are the proximity sensors for turning the screen off when you hold up the phone to your face. If you are seeing light coming from them it sounds like one is defective as you should only be able to see them in direct sunlight.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
They aren't lights, they are the proximity sensors for turning the screen off when you hold up the phone to your face. If you are seeing light coming from them it sounds like one is defective as you should only be able to see them in direct sunlight.

Correct. This isn't an issue.

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site

I guess I should go to the apple store to get it checked out. I have talked to a few people who can also see it on their phones in the same situation.

Just called apple tech support and the guy said it was normal to be able to see the proximity sensor in darker situations.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner