I'm about to buy an iphone

tony5mlc

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, i've finally made the decision to buy the new iphone 3gs 32gb, and was just wondering if there are any downfalls to owning one. I am planning on jailbreaking it too and the same question there, is there any problems to look out for etc....

Also can i hook up both my ipod and my (soon to be) iphone to the same itunes account...

Any help and advice will be really helpful to me, thanks...

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Downfall to owning one? Is there a downfall to being the coolest kid on the block! :)

So long as you know what you are getting (and what the iPhone doesn't do), the only downfall is spending too much money on apps!

Indygangsta

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
^^^one of the features that people seem to care about is tethering, which the iphone does not support at the moment, but since your jailbreaking i think there is a way, not to sure. i recently got an iphone abt 2 months back and i have been loving it ever since. i came from a blackberry storm(which is bad on so many levels) so owning an iphone is like heaven to me. you also can't have a background, but considering your jailbreaking, that shudnt be to big of a deal

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yes, you can share an itunes account easily.

Problems jailbreaking is being patient when OS updates arrive.

foug

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Just buy it dude, I was in the same place as you 8 months ago, "should i buy it? omg it's so expensive"

just get it, you won't regret it. I know i didn't.

sidenote: mine is JB

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
smartest decision you will ever make . The only downfall I can see is that apple might have a new phone this summer .

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
I bought the 3gs 32 about a week ago! I LOVE IT. Just DO NOT UPDATE to 3.1. Mine came with 3.0.1 and yours should too. DO NOT go to apple to get it. 3.1 cannot be JB. Im JB UNLOCKED mms and tethering can be done as well! IT will not tethering with 3.1, it will not JB with 3.1, it will not unlock with 3.1

ITS AMAZING! Ive had all 3 phones! BLOWS them away...

pieroxy

May 7, 2009
Visit site
^^^one of the features that people seem to care about is tethering, which the iphone does not support at the moment, but since your jailbreaking i think there is a way, not to sure. i recently got an iphone abt 2 months back and i have been loving it ever since. i came from a blackberry storm(which is bad on so many levels) so owning an iphone is like heaven to me. you also can't have a background, but considering your jailbreaking, that shudnt be to big of a deal

The iPhone support tethering perfectly fine. But for a strange reason, they decided that it was the carrier's duty to activate it on your iPhone....

Good luck with that ! ;-)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't do..well, most of the things it doesn't do can be done by jailbreaking.

But I was referring to things like tethering as well as "minor" things like using MP3's as ringtones, changing tones for the SMS signals, etc.

Most of the complaints seem to be about minor stuff like that.

Chris

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone is awesome, I owned the 1st gen and now the 3G, next year a 3Gs. Like everyone said you should research on this forum and on the web the things people complain about and figure out the things you will need to do with it so you know it's current limitations. If you care about the aesthetics buy a case once you get the phone this will protect it from scratches, scrapes, and hard landings. Also you need to know your technical expertise level, JB sounds simple and it is, but some things if not done correctly will get you frustrated and might even cause you to hate the device. So here are a few things I've learned both about the phone and JB. If the phone freezes, crashes, etc. a reboot will usually get it back up and running. You can reboot the phone by holding the power button and home button at the same time for around 20 seconds. When you JB if using OpenSSH make sure you have SBSettings or Bossprefs to be able to turn off OpenSSH when you're not using it. It will drain your battery quickly and leave your phone open to anyone smart enough to hack it. When you're JB you can use IPhone Explorer(Mac) and DiskAid(Windows) to access the phone through the USB cable. :D

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I mulled over the same decision as the OP for a few months. My decision was a bit harder cuz I was leaving Sprint before the end of my contract & therefore eating an ETF. But once the 3GS was out, the choice became so clear it was a no-brainer. On July 2nd I became the proud owner of a 3GS 16GB. My phone is JB, and I love it that way (w/the MMS hack working well).

IMO the only downside to owning an iPhone is that you tend to ignore everything else for the chance to play w/your phone. :D

tony5mlc

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
many thanks to you all, iv'e taken all your advise on board. i went out to buy one on monday and hey...... guess what...... all sold out, gotta wait till next week now grrrrr

duhneiz

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
there isnt much of a need to jailbreak anymore... esp if ur using att..
i had jailbroke my 2g.. but that was berfore the app store..
dont even feel the need anymore
its pretty easy to do :)

congrats on getting ur phone tomorrow

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2