Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts

Default 2G vs 3G EDGE

Have been reading about the differences between the 2G and 3G with TMobile. I have read that the 3G will not give you 3G service but you can still us the 2G network with that iPhone? What is the cheapest service you can buy with TMobile for internet usage with the 2G and 3G iPhone models? I thought I read that the Edge service is only available with the 2G model? If so, what is the cheapest internet plan I can use with TMobile and the 3G iPhone? If I buy an unlocked 3G iPhone, can I update it with newest iPhone versions as they come out from Apple or do I have to stay with an older version so I don't lock up the iPhone. Thanks for any help..........
    iPhone Newbie

18 Posts

I'm not from the US so i can't tell for T-Mobile. What is sure is that all iPhones can benefit from an Edge network. Don't worry about that one.
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

Yeah, I'm also not from the US so I can't comment on the cheapest package but all Iphones above 2G will be able to use EDGE networks. The 2G phone can't use 3G networks.