Voice calls through WiFi without a VOIP App?

Carchidi

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to utilize my voice plan minutes through WiFi in cases where there is no cellphone signal? Not looking for free calling, just want to use my plan minutes in the normal manner when there is no cell signal. Also, want to receive calls to my normal cell number when there is WiFi but no cell signal.

A recent New York Times article implied that AT&T enabled the above in order to reduce the load on their cell network while providing an alternative connection path when the cell network is overloaded.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Would this be what you are looking for perhaps?

AT&T 3G MicroCell?

- iFizz

This is a cool idea but it is not offered everywhere yet.:( I do think that this is what the OP is looking for though.

I am not aware of a way to do what you want except with the Microcell. The only other way to call via wifi is through service like Skype, Truephone, etc. There could possible be away to get calls forward from your cell # to another number (GV, Skype, etc.) via WiFi. I do this sometimes.

Carchidi

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Thank you iFizzgig for pointing me to the Microcell!

The existence of the Microcell verifies that the necessary Gateways into ATT&T's voice network already exist on the Internet, or they soon will exist when the Microcell rolls out countrywide.

Then, it becomes a mere matter of firmware extensions in the iPhone to mimic the single user part of the Microcell's functionality. Might even be doable as an app?

Given the NYT article, I wouldn't be surprised if the capability is already in the iPhone firmware but operational only in those markets where the cell network is badly overloaded; just guessing.

Would anyone in NYC, or SF like to do some testing?

Thank you,

Joe Carchidi

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Is it possible to utilize my voice plan minutes through WiFi in cases where there is no cellphone signal? Not looking for free calling, just want to use my plan minutes in the normal manner when there is no cell signal. Also, want to receive calls to my normal cell number when there is WiFi but no cell signal.

A recent New York Times article implied that AT&T enabled the above in order to reduce the load on their cell network while providing an alternative connection path when the cell network is overloaded.
Well, it would relieve some of the pressure on their network. if and when they do it. I am old and it does not appear that they will do it in time to help me.