Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

61 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Using an iPhone in Germany???

so i just got orders to Rmastein, Germany. and i know that Tmobile and i think Vodafone are the two main carriers of the iPhone. so my question is would it best to use my U.S. iPhone in Germany with ATT, or would i have to have my iPhone unlocked so i can use Tmobile and or Vodafone.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

International calling as opposed to local calls? Hrmm...that's a tough one.
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

I deal with international phone support regularly

AT&T does not unlock the iphone.

avoid international calls. you're looking at $2-5 per minute. Use Skype instead.

get a local phone to make local calls.
    iMore Intermediate

301 Posts
    Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

I travel to Germany several times per year and have AT&T in the US. Calls while you're in Germany are $0.99 per minute. They'll let you buy an international data package too, but they're really expensive. It's like 20 MB for $20 and $5 per MB overages.

While I don't think AT&T will unlock the phone for you, I"m sure they would have to let you out of your contract (or at least freeze it) if you were deployed and are in the military (it sounds like that from your post). You would then have to jailbreak and unlock your phone to use it on Vodaphone or Tmobile.

If you choose to use Skype, you would have to have access to Wifi, but this is definitely a cheap option.