Does Home Share work for anyone?

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I realize this isn't an iTunes forum but I'm not sure where to post this question.

I've set it up on two computers using the same iTunes account. I've opened ports (I think) on my D-Link router.

In iTunes, I see each computer under Shared but when I click on either one they go away.

Can anyone share the secret with me?

Thanks,

Mark

Pr3mier

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
you might want to look into this thread

theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/178183-how-do-you-share-apps.html

and to answer your question: yes anyone can use homeshare as long as they have itunes, on the same wifi, has home sharing turned on, and have authorized the computer to use your itunes account

hope it helps. there should be some kind of how to post for this soon...

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
you might want to look into this thread

theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/178183-how-do-you-share-apps.html

and to answer your question: yes anyone can use homeshare as long as they have itunes, on the same wifi, has home sharing turned on, and have authorized the computer to use your itunes account

hope it helps. there should be some kind of how to post for this soon...

That Link does not work. Here is a fixed link
http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/178183-how-do-you-share-apps.html

Pr3mier

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
yeah.. sorry...
im not allowed to post links yet
i assumed he would know that it was only part of the link.
i shoulda indicated that...
anyways, good luck. hope it works

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I had already reviewed that thread (and a few others). I have a desktop (XP Pro) and a netbook (XP home). Both have iTunes 9.1 (downloaded the same day). We have 2 32G GS's (not that that should matter).

Both computers are authorized and logged into the same iTunes account. I see the other computers on the iTunes sharing pane but they go away if I click on them.

It occurred to me that the problem might be the fact that the netbook has nothing to share (doesn't really make sense...) so I ripped a song onto it.

That didn't help.

I don't think I'm alone with this problem since google returned a number of hits. There doesn't seem to be a proven fix.

I am new to iTunes and I'm not familiar with Apple stuff - perhaps it is just a newbe thing.

M

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Both computers also need to be authorized to use your content. Your allowed to "authorize" up to 5 devices

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
I had the same problem. When I openend itunes the next day, it worked perfectly. Maybe try restaring both computers, and both itunes.

That seemed to work for me.

Craig

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you followed the steps exactly in the thread it should work fine because a number of us in the thread did it. I did it from my Mac to my GF's PC so it's not a question of platform. So if it doesn't work try rebooting both of them like esquire1996 has suggested. If that doesn't work remove the ITunes from the one that's empty, I think you said the Air and re-install and try it again. Just remember to de-authorize the Air before you remove the Itunes. I lost one of my authorizations when I hurriedly switched to my new laptop without de-activating on the old laptop.

tnjreese

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I think I am just completely missing something here and for the life of me, can't seem to figure it out. I have a Mac book Pro and a Vista PC that I would like to share songs between. I have gone to each and turned on Homesharing and used the same itunes account to activiate them. I then get a screen saying HomeSharing is turned on. But I never see in the left hand column a Shared Library. I have checked share complete library in options of both of the machines. I get the exact same thing on the Mac as well - Screen saying that Home Sharing is enabled, but no shared library shows up. In fact as soon as i click on the Done button on the HomeSharing screen the whole "Shared" section goes away on the left column.

So what am i missing here...

hobanma

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
It now works for me!

All I had to do was re-install XP and it works - not too much to ask huh?

I had a crash yesterday so I had to rebuild my system. Tried home sharing today and it works just fine.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It now works for me!

All I had to do was re-install XP and it works - not too much to ask huh?

I had a crash yesterday so I had to rebuild my system. Tried home sharing today and it works just fine.

Just another reason to get a Mac. LOL I have only had one crash and that was due to Flash.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234