Video Question

nu_D

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey!

I am new here (obviously) and I am a brand new iPhone user. I've always used Nokia/Symbian/T9 so this is quite a change for me, but so far I am liking it!

I am quickly learning about it and to be honest, seems like there isn't much. I am very experienced with computers/software which helps.

I am probably going to have a ton of questions initially, but as I hopefully learn more and more, I will then help out others!

Anywho.

So I used Handbrake to convert a couple of my movies to the proper iPhone format but I noticed they are really really skinny, vertically only taking up maybe a quarter of the screen. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? If I zoom in on the iPhone, it does fill up the screen, but obviously the sides are cut out by a decent margin.

Is there a way/setting where the video natively fits the screen in the proper aspect ratio? I clicked on "iPhone" in the Handbrake settings and the resolution was right.... so I don't know if this is just how it is or if I missed something.

Thanks!

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Handbrake has always worked for me. It sounds like you did it correctly, but something must have gone wrong. My videos all turn out to be miniature versions of the original while maintaining the aspect ratio. I do believe you can change the aspect ratio though. I take it your original video was not in portrait mode?

nu_D

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
It was in portrait mode... it's your typical torrent movie actually.

I mean, they are miniature versions... but they are very "short." Is that normal? Vertically they don't take up the entire space, they only take up about 1/4 of the vertical space on the screen.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
as long as one direction has no black bars (to the both sides or top and bottom) and you're not losing any of the picture you could try the following

look up the aspect ratio of the video
take the aspect ratio of the iphone- 320 ? 480 or 2:3 (3:2 in landscape)
do some math

let's say it's a 1.85:1 ratio film

1/1.85 = x/1
or
1/1.85

so that ratio would fille 0.54% of the screen space

so the long direction would be 480 pixels, the short would be ~173 pixels.

make sure your video is at least that size if it's that aspect ratio

if someone added black bars onto the top and bottom of the film that may be what you're getting. the bars would center it on a 4:3 screen but the longer, skinnier 3:2 this would make everything smaller. think a long and short landscape film scaled down and forced into smaller wide and tall a full frame box scaled down and forced into a smaller long and skinny landscape box