Did I completely screw up my new 3GS?

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
I just got my iphone yesterday and thought that the mail account would be like my macbook. I can delete all my macbook mail and it still will show on the Gmail site. With the Iphone, I guess it deletes both. Is there a way to stop that?

Anyway, I deleted 100 or more at a time and the Iphone would go blank in the mail app and then show the mail I kept and flash back and forth before going back to the home screen. Is that a normal thing? Was I doing too much?

Also, when you delete all contents of the trash the bottom had a red progress bar that said downloading? It was when I trashed 200 messages.

Thanks for any help.

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when you tie the mail app on your phone to gmail, it is pretty much a direct portal into the gmail site. Any messages you receive show up in both in boxes. If you read one on the phone, it will be marked as read when you check your mail on your macbook.

When you deleted the 100s of messages, it put them into the trash folder for access on both your phone and macbook.

When you emptied your trash, you permanently deleted those messages.

You didn't screw up your 3GS. You just deleted a bunch of mail.

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a way to turn off this behavior. It's not like outlook or other pop mail clients on your computer where the mail is downloaded to your the computer.

- iFizz

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when you tie the mail app on your phone to gmail, it is pretty much a direct portal into the gmail site. Any messages you receive show up in both in boxes. If you read one on the phone, it will be marked as read when you check your mail on your macbook.

When you deleted the 100s of messages, it put them into the trash folder for access on both your phone and macbook.

When you emptied your trash, you permanently deleted those messages.

You didn't screw up your 3GS. You just deleted a bunch of mail.

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a way to turn off this behavior. It's not like outlook or other pop mail clients on your computer where the mail is downloaded to your the computer.

- iFizz

If it isn't too much trouble, could you look at the apple site under "purge" for the iphone? I tried to post a link but my post count isn't high enough.....yet.

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I found the document. From there I can understand how it would seem like the Mail is behaving exactly like a pop3 client. More than likely, it is to allow for faster management of messages.

I tested it though. If you move a message on your phone to the trash, it moves to the trash immediately on your gmail account. The same is true when going from the trash to your inbox.

I'm not an expert on any of this. I'm really just trying to offer insight into what may be happening.

- iFizz

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Under the additional notes, I did notice something interesting:

Additional Information
Notes

1. The default setting on iPhone or iPod touch for POP accounts is to keep mail on the server. If you have changed the default setting on the iPhone then the mail will only be stored on your iPhone.

2. If you have the "Remove Deleted Messages" option set to Never, the purge feature will still remove messages from the device based on the Show Recent Messages setting described above, but the messages are still available on the server.

I can't seem find those settings in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings on the iPhone.

I would imagine that that might be what you are looking for.

- iFizz

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
iFizz...much appreciated. I am pretty much a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff....and tend to go a little OCD when I think I messed something up.

I am still confused about the red progress bar and the "download" when I emptied the trash after deleting the messages. It isn't doing that with a few messages...just the 200.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You are experiencing IMAP, not pop3. The whole point is so that you will have the exact same email experience regardless of where you choose to view your email. If you delete in one place, it's deleted in all. If you send from one place, you can still see the sent email from another. If you move an email to another folder on your iPhone, when you get to the office, that email will be safely tucked into that folder.

jazzandmetal?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
You are experiencing IMAP, not pop3. The whole point is so that you will have the exact same email experience regardless of where you choose to view your email. If you delete in one place, it's deleted in all. If you send from one place, you can still see the sent email from another. If you move an email to another folder on your iPhone, when you get to the office, that email will be safely tucked into that folder.

Okay, is there a way to set the iphone like my mac with the pop3?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox