Jailbreaking Shorterns Battery Life?

Ramy

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've read somewhere that Jailbreaking shortens your battery life... and that when you un-jailbreak it the battery goes back to normal?

is this true?

i've not installed any apps, just unlocked the iphone, added sbsettings and some tweaks such reflectivedock...

would this greatly affect my battery life?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
have you noticed any change in it yet? i had an issue with mine when i jailbroke and was advised that maybe the jailbreak had gone bad or something. i could actually see the battery meter go down by just looking at it on the homescreen. from what i've noticed and read, it seems like winterboard and backgrounder may be the culprit, both of which i had installed.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had two one JB and unlocked and my current one is only JB and I've never had anything noticeable about the battery being drained faster. If you JB the phone and put OpenSSH you should turn it off in SBSettings when you're not using it because it will toast your battery alot faster. If you have Backgrounder and run multiple apps and forget them in the background then it too will drain your battery faster. So it's not the JB process itself but user actions. I haven't used any themes in Winterboard so far because when I did previously it did nothing to my battery but my Iphone had a little more lag when doing things. I wanted to see if the themes could be causing it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've read somewhere that Jailbreaking shortens your battery life... and that when you un-jailbreak it the battery goes back to normal?

is this true?

i've not installed any apps, just unlocked the iphone, added sbsettings and some tweaks such reflectivedock...

would this greatly affect my battery life?

Can it shorten battery life? Simple answer - yes it possibly can. Most of the time when battery life is decreased it's due to a jailbroken application rather than the actual act of jailbreaking itself.

Bottom line is you can always restore and start over...

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed SOME battery LIFE decrease but NOT enough to worry about. It seems if we use the IPhone more the quicker the battery Drains. if its normal use really no change.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Remember let the battrey DRAIN COMPLETELY at least once a week be4 chargeing. That way it doesn't remember.

iverhoob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Not noticed any extreme battery drain on mine. 3Gs jailbroken when it was 2 days old. I also was under the impression that batterys didnt have memory these days?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Remember let the battrey DRAIN COMPLETELY at least once a week be4 chargeing. That way it doesn't remember.

Lithium batteries have circuitry inside to do away with this issue.

You're thinking NiMH batteries

and from experience, the jailbreak isn't any more or less battery intensive. It's all usage patterns

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Lithium batteries have circuitry inside to do away with this issue.

You're thinking NiMH batteries

and from experience, the jailbreak isn't any more or less battery intensive. It's all usage patterns

Directly from Apple and the sticky on the top of this forum: For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it?s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now, that's weird.

Because if you completely (as in 100%) run down a lithium-based battery you ruin the battery. Most battery manufacturers recommend the battery stay at a minimum percentage.

The reason for the discharge recommendation is not because of memory issues. It's because rechargable batteries have a lifespan.

If you let it discharge to 10% and then recharge to 100% vs to 55% recharge to 100% and again to 55% and then recharge to 100% it's one less charge cycle that's been used and you get the same amount of energy out of the battery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner