Switching SIM card with mixed results

garynky

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a BB Bold using AT&T service. I also have an iPhone. I have done the jailbreak process and unlock on the iPhone with no problems.

When I'm at my home, I can move the SIM card from the BB to the iPhone and I have voice, data, can use PDANet to tether - no problems. When I'm at work, I have voice and can receive text messages. However, I have no data functions.

The only visible difference is work is 3G and home isn't. Other than that, I can't come up with a reason for the discrepency. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,
GT

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I do the same thing. BB bold an I phone. You do need to chang ethe apn. It's easy and can be done several ways including the link in the above post. I used that one as well. At home you are only using the wifi. AT&T knows you don't have an iPhone plan but after the apn change they won't know and the sim will work in both phones.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I have a bold also, as well as a 3GS. I asked the rep (I know, don't believe them, but some of them do tell the truth) if I could use the SIM in my Bold after converting my data plan over to the iPhone data plan. She said it would work in the bold, but for a short time only. The system would know the phone was not an iPhone and kill the data to the device. Voice would still work.

With an iPhone on an AT&T account, they require the iPhone data plan. They will change it automatically if needed. The best bet would be to keep the Blackberry plan and switch the SIM to the iPhone on occasion. If the phone is unlocked, it should not register as an iPhone, but rather as an unknown device on the AT&T network. This would allow you to use the voice, messaging and MediaNet, but lose the visual voicemail that comes with the iPhone plan.

When you put the SIM back in the Bold, you then have full access, including the BB data.

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I didn't unlock my iPhone. Just change the apn at the link above and your good to go. I use my iPhone 5 says a week and only swap to the BB Bold when I have all dayeetings and really need the work email realtime. My plan has not been changed on me and I have had no other problems. I've been doing the for 5 months now.