Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

7 Posts

Default Internet...weird!!

Hi all, im a new member from England, just bought my first i-phone and have a question,well two really!!

Firstly,with my wifi AND 3g turned off I can still access the internet!!! Surely this shouldn't happen!
    Secondly,I was shocked at how quick the battery depletes its self, have done a full charge and discharge twice now without to much improvement so I was wondering if maybe the two issues are connected.

If the phone is permanently connected to the internet would that account for the battery depleting so quick!!

Many thanks for any advice people.

iMore Pro

537 Posts
    Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

with wife & 3g turned off, i assume you are accessing the Edge-equivalent network to AT&T here in the states. (unsure of exact network configuration from carriers in england) so your internet connection will still work. it will just be a lot slower than 3g or wifi.

as for the battery? well if you're on Edge and you have wifi & 3g turned off, your battery 'should' last longer. but if you are constantly fiddling with your iphone (running apps, email, games), then of course your battery will drain quickly. it doesn't seem to take much for me to be at 30% left by the time i come home from work.

if your battery drain becomes an issue, you might consider a battery power pack. there are many threads here on the forum discussing them. either way, enjoy your new iPhone!!
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

define what you mean by quickly
    iPhone Newbie

30 Posts

You are accessing the Internet with Edge (E in top left of screen) or GPRS (dot in top left of screen)
    iMore Beginner

64 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I believe the only way to turn off any data connection is to turn on Airplane Mode, leaving wifi turned off.