WIFI on 3GS won't allow me in

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
ok firstly i'm a newbie here so i would just like to say Hi, my name is Miggs and i'm from the UK

i have had my phone for a few weeks now, and i love it, but last night my kids were playing games on it, and when i went to use the WIFI this morning it won't let me select WIFI to turn it on/off, thus no WIFI, i have tried a network settings reset but still nothing, any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if we have enough info. Is they wifi button greyed out? Or is it your particular network that isn't showing up?

You may have to first reset your wifi network and/or restore the phone as perhaps the game did something wonky to your phone.

Tennisman120

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
i had this problem on my 3g. it kept saying the wep was too long when it wasnt at all. i had to do a soft reset like 2 times. seemed to work after that.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a restore is in order. Try one first from a backup. Then if your still not good to go try a restore as a new phone and re-add all of your media.

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Did a full restore last night now a have an un jailbroken phone with no media apps or anything and still I can't select wifi, what the he'll have these kids done to it lol

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
can anybody PLEASE help this is driving me nuts, i have done a full reset and nothing, i even tried re-jailbreaking it but still no wifi option, whats going on, do i need to take it back to the store and get an exchange?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If your phone is Jailbroken go to Cydia and get SBSettings. Once you have swipe your finger across the top taskbar where the time and all that is and you should get a drop down. Look at the Wifi and see if it's on(Green) or off(Red) if it's Red then tap it and see if it turns back on. If it's greyed out or something then close the screen and restore your phone because if you take it back to Apple they will not give you a new one until you've restored it, they can't take it back with non-Apple software(Jailbreak). When you've restored and you go into Settings the initial Wi-Fi is grey? you can't tap it? if so then take the phone in.

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
i have done various restore's on this now and none have changed the wifi from grey, the cydia app loads up fine but every time i try to unlock with ultrasn0w or purplesn0w it shows a load of errors so i think restore and return is on the cards, thanks for your help guys much appreciated

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It does sound like it's a hardware problem to me. Sorry to hear that. Let us know what the Apple store genius guys do? As this has been an interesting problem.

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
well over here in the UK the apple stores are few and far between, we have the O2 store which is the network the iPhone is locked to over here and the Carphone Warehouse which is the only other official retailer of the iPhone, i will be taking it to one of them first to see what they say, trouble is i don't think they can't offer me a new phone on the spot as i struggled to get this one due to low stocks

i will keep you all informed though, thanks again

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
ok quick update, phoned apple they have said and i quote "try resetting the phone back to factory settings"

told them that this has been done several times, she replied "oh ok, well we have had a few reports of this problem, we will despatch a courier to come and collect it from you"

so i have to wait for them to look at the phone and decide what to do, no courtesy phone or anything, great service!!!

is there any way of apple finding that the phone has been jailbroken or does it get completely wiped when reset?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Doing a restore will wipe away all traces of your jailbreak. From what I understand. Do your restore as a new phone.

Dubster16v

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok, after being told that a courier will contact me within 2 days of my phone call to apple I have heard nothing, I called them again and the guy on the phone said if I take it into an apple store they will do an exchange so i looked online and found an apple store 45 miles away, I got there only to be told I needed an appointment and there were non available for nearly a week, I was rather angry at this point and left before I broke the guys jaw, I got home and phoned apple again to complain and this time I spoke to the boss, he said all stores in the uk operate the appointment sytem and the first guy on the phone should have told me this, by way of an appology he has guaranteed that if I go into the store on the Tuesday I will have a new phone the following day, about bloody time

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices