iPhone Push to Talk (An

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
iPhone Push to Talk ?

I know its pretty pointless to send suggestions to Apple's suggestion box, because there is no evidence anything happens until after 4 million hits or 2 years which ever comes first.

But one thing Apple could do really well would be Push to Talk app.

I hate texting or calling just to remind my wife to pick up a dozen eggs. Both take too damn long.

But picking up the phone, unlock, tap PTT icon, tap desired Contact name and and recite short message would be really cool.

They could hang management of it in your contacts, so you can control who you send and receive from.

I'm thinking this would be totally over 3G, or Wifi, and would just digitize your voice and send the packets to a queue for the recipient. They get a Notification, and can listen and reply.

No long term server based storage.
No interoperability with Sprint or any other PTT service.
No SMS/MMS bandwidth used, no clogging up the carriers phone system.
Just receive them automatically from authorized senders, and put them in your iPhone memory.

Just Iphone to iPhone. To heck with those Pre users.

Strictly short voice segments from the mic, no music, 30 to 45 seconds max.

I suppose a Developer could do almost as well as Apple using notifications,
but they would have to store and hold the messages and you would have to fetch them. That would be slower. I bet this is something Apple could do much better than anyone else, because it could receive these in the background like mail.

I hate the PTT phones where the tool holds the phone in front of him and shouts into it while everyone in 40 feet gets to listen to his wife reads him the grocery list. Just make it work thru the ear speaker or headphones so iPhone users don't look like idiots.

Apple could use that big east coast server farm for this. Maybe expand the service later to include videos/pics. The notification system is already in place. But nobody has an App for that in the app store.

Note:
PTT is different than sending a Voice Message by mail or a voice MMS. Its immediate, its delivery guaranteed, or fail notice guaranteed. Its bandwidth friendly because you don't need to send in real-time, (just near real-time), and fidelity only has to be good enough to understand. (And no, you don't need that annoying Nextel beep).

Last edited:

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Meh... I had a Nextell for years and HATED it.:p I am not real sure about how the technology works but I think it may be dying out. I know that Nextel is really struggling and with Sprint's help. They have almost become a niche service for Construction and other VERY large facility types. Their coverage has never been that great and does not seem to be getting any better.

BTW, the reason most people hold Nextels in front of them and shout at it, is because they do not know that you can take it off speaker and use it more like a phone when you need a more private conversation.:rolleyes:

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
I had a Nextel as well, back when they were cool. But the PTT was SO intrusive. I'd prefer to be able to decide whether I want everyone around me to hear what the person on the other end is saying, and I like being able to decide whether I receive that message or not, ie answering the phone.

The only good thing Nextel had ? amazing speakerphone. I have never had a speaker as loud on any other phone, and I hate that. I used to have to turn my Nextel speaker phone down. Every other phone I've had is maxed out and I still can't hear it half the time.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
PTT is a feature that should be buried with Nextel... It was nice at first and then just became a major pain. If someone alerted you and you didn't catch it all incoming calls would be directed to your voicemail until you cleared the alert. This is one feature that should never and will never touch an iPhone. Send a text message if you want to get a brief message across. Just my 2 cents.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
There is a reason Nextel is gone. The masses have voted, text messages are what they want.

"But picking up the phone, unlock, tap PTT icon, tap desired Contact name and and recite short message would be really cool."

Replace "tap PTT icon" with "phone".

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
AT&T already has PTT for several phones even smart phones like the BB Curve. I don't see it ever coming to the iPhone.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
PTT is a feature that should be buried with Nextel... It was nice at first and then just became a major pain. If someone alerted you and you didn't catch it all incoming calls would be directed to your voicemail until you cleared the alert. This is one feature that should never and will never touch an iPhone. Send a text message if you want to get a brief message across. Just my 2 cents.

A bad implementation should not condemn an entire concept to death.

What if Steve did it?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The only people who seemed to really use PTT were/are contractors.

Thats because it was so badly implemented.

But a proper one, (where it didn't just blurt out the message on the speaker phone) would be very useable.

I often don't want to get in a conversation, and I can't text while I drive, but I can pick up the phone and send a 8 second voice clip saying I'll be an hour late.

Stop thinking Nextel, and start thinking Steve Jobs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2