Weird Question: Falling Asleep with the IPhone?

jnewman33

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
This may sound like a weird question but I sometimes will fall asleep for the night while using the IPhone either listening to my music or ambiance app,etc. I either wake up later with it still in my hand or sometimes even with me laying on top of it. I try to remember to turn it off & put it on my nightstand but doesn't always goes as planned. I always am worried that it may get the screen cracked possibly due to pressure of my weight or even it falling from the bed to floor(that hasn't occured.....yet).

Any else have stories of falling asleep/napping with the phone or worse yet breakage due to this?

rsandlas

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I listen to music via pandora but I set on my desk and then fall a sleep :) it's pandora is always off when I wake idk how though

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'll fall asleep reading the web or twitter on my phone often,but I will usually wake up enough to at least put it under my pillow for safe keeping :)

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I have heard of people having close personal attachments with their electronic devices, but that takes the cake.:p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. By the way, does the iPhone have an app for that?:D

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I have heard of people having close personal attachments with their electronic devices, but that takes the cake.:p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. By the way, does the iPhone have an app for that?:D

Hey, that's me. Honestly my iPhone does not stray more than 3 feet from me day/night...btw, I purchased pzizz relax a few day ago to help me relax and sleep at night. Great app.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP you need a case, this should keep it safe if it falls off the bed onto the floor. I've been hit by a cyclist(long story) my Iphone which was in a case flew out of my pocket and skated across the street top. I thought it was a goner for sure but not a scratch or problem when I picked it up.:D As for sleeping on top of it I doubt your body weight would do anything since your matress is softer and will create a pocket for the phone so I doubt you're going to crush it.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I've fell asleep w/ it in my hand before. I normally wake up though. I don't think you'd break it laying on it if it's on a soft surface like a bed, as a bed conforms to shape. If it's charging or playing music though, I'd worry about it overheating more than anything.

Mine sleeps about 12 inches from me on my nightstand on the charger :)

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com
You can set the iPhone to auto-off via the clock app.

Use the countdown timer and set it to the option to turn off when the countdown is finished.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The signal to my body that it is time to sleep is reading a few pages in bed. For years, this meant falling asleep with the lights on and the book in the bed. For the last six or seven years, I have been reading e-books. I do this with the lights off. Both my Treos and my iPhones shut themselves off when I fall asleep. (iPhones will not turn off if music is playing.) They also remember where I was in the book without using a bookmark.

So, have been sleeping with smartphones for years. No ill effects on the phone. Positive effect on me; I sleep better with the lights off.

There may be some small risk to the phone. However, this use has already survived half a dozen phones with no damage. Usually the phone can be found at arms length but I have awakened on top of it and once or twice found it on the floor. No damage.

The Treo had a little LED that flashed green every 15 seconds or so when it could hear the network. This made it easy to find in the dark. I have to find the iPhone by touch. Perhaps someone will build a feature into an e-reader.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest you get an OtterBox Case or a Contour case , but make sure you get it from the Apple Store , because the phone can still get hurt in a case .

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I fall asleep with mine all the time. Usually me laying on my back and the phone on top of me. I have knocked it on the floor a few times. No scratches so far though. :)

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I'll fall asleep reading the web or twitter on my phone often,but I will usually wake up enough to at least put it under my pillow for safe keeping :)

I fell asleep wit my 3G once, but in the middle of the night, I woke up and felt it under my pillow and it was burning hot! After that I never again kept my iPhone on my bed with me for fear of it bursting into flames in the middle of the night. Now I keep it on my nightstand.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i only been an iphone owner for a week and already had this "sleeping" symptom...not to mention, it was a pretty darn good nap

Razelus

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I fall asleep with WunderRadio with music from some far away place around the globe. Have a close attachment to my device as well as it's the first thing I look to when I wake up. I dock it on my Bose and fall asleep with sum music in the Netherlands.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
When I'm tired I turn everything off and go to bed. I do not sleep with the phone. I do not want to depend on music, reading or tv to help me fall asleep.

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes I always intend to put it up when I think im about to fall asleep but that plan seems to always fail, when I wake up in the morning I find it under my bed or still in my hand. I am also very frightened that I may one day wake up and see that my phone to has a broken screen. Does anybody have tips?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods