Brand new 3GS, few issues.

gpia7r

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good Afternoon!

Got my new 3gs last night. It charged overnight. I took it off the charger this morning at about 7am.

It's 1pm now, and I'm floating at about 50% battery life. That absolutely can't be right, can it?

Wifi is off, Bluetooth is off, brightness is VERY low, Push is off, Location is off, I barely use it (downloaded a few apps this morning), and I lock it all the time.

What's going on here? It's jailbroken with Cydia... but that doesn't effect battery life does it?

I've got an appointment tomorrow with my local Apple Store... so I'll just restore it to factory firmware tonight before heading out there tomorrow. Has anyone else had this sort of issue with a 3GS, is it normal? Will they replace the device?

Thanks
New User GPIA7R

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Depending on what you jailbreak apps you have, sure it's a great possibility that is creating the battery issue. Also, how much have you used the device during the time the battery drained? Could be normal depending on the usage.

gpia7r

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Not much at all, to be honest. I sat in my car just a moment ago during lunch, got online for about 5 minutes... the battery dropped 5%

Just doesn't seem normal. I'd be fine with a battery that would last all day, and just charge overnight... like 50% by the end of the day would make more sense.

My Blackberry never went below 75% by the end of the day, and it had things running in the background constantly.

Edit: Just looked under the Usage menu... the "Time since last full charge" area is empty? It fully charged overnight, though... so shouldn't something be there?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This sounds like you just got an iPhone and jumped into jailbreaking. I'd say restore as new and don't jailbreak. See if it's better. I'm willing to bet you won't have this issue anymore.

geeanywhere

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
My 3Gs was jailbroken but now its on factory default and I drained the battery til end, but I still have issues with the battery life. I asked people and they said a program might be corrupted and it might cause the drain drastically. My suggestion would be test an app by app to see what is the cause. I know its a drag but it might help with solving with the issue.

I too am going to Apple store since my battery drains but its also hot. I have to use bluetooth to talk half the time.

gpia7r

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I noticed it gets pretty hot pretty quick, as well. I'll restore tonight and give it another shot.

Oh, and as far as taking it to the Apple Store... Do I have to take it out of the case? It's in a SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel, and I'd rather not take a chance on scratching the bezel if I don't have to... but if they're going to rip it out of there, I'd rather be the one to do it carefully tonight.

geeanywhere

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I noticed it gets pretty hot pretty quick, as well. I'll restore tonight and give it another shot.

Oh, and as far as taking it to the Apple Store... Do I have to take it out of the case? It's in a SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel, and I'd rather not take a chance on scratching the bezel if I don't have to... but if they're going to rip it out of there, I'd rather be the one to do it carefully tonight.

My best tip to you is, take the case out yourself cause even tho they know what they are doing, they sometimes can be annoyed and do crap job. Best luck in figuring whats up with your phone...

gpia7r

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, an update on this

After restoring before going to the Apple Store, it seemed to work just fine. Actually got to 60% after being on standby for almost 20 hours, and a couple hours of use.

This is a huge disappointment in Jailbreaking. I'd jailbreak it again tomorrow if I knew the battery wouldn't be so adversely effected.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well, an update on this

After restoring before going to the Apple Store, it seemed to work just fine. Actually got to 60% after being on standby for almost 20 hours, and a couple hours of use.

This is a huge disappointment in Jailbreaking. I'd jailbreak it again tomorrow if I knew the battery wouldn't be so adversely effected.

Glad I was right. ;) It could have been a specific jailbreak app that was creating the issue.

jerry.b.2

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
What apps did you load after you jailbroke it? I thought I had a problem too but it turned out I was using the phone a lot more then I thought and as soon as I stopped with the newness factor of turning it on and playing with it every 2 minutes, amazingly my battery life went up :)

It would be really nice to know what apps you were running so we can compare to see if there is one app that seems to cause the problem.

JB

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
this is why i'm leery about installing Backgrounder. i think i'll forget to turn those apps off and they will run in the background all day and deplete my battery. but, i'll just have to wait and see i guess. glad the OP figured out his problem.

a dead iPhone is a boring iPhone. :/

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Backgrounder will only drain your battery more if the apps you run in the background are actually running. For example, leaving Pandora playing in the background (using Backgrounder) will kill your battery. Any Twitter client will similarly kill it. Something like an mp3 alarm clock app won't affect battery at all.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Also a note to JBers if you have OpenSSH remember to turn it off when you're not using it with SBSettings. It will drain a battery like nobody's business. Just remember that when you JB a phone you are a more advanced user that is a caveat along with all the cool stuff you can do. So you have to watch out for things like not running too much apps and leaving them running in the background, etc. When you're JB you don't have Apple holding your hand anymore ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods