Iphone GPS

Acorn#IM

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I am new to the iphone. I just got it today. I was wondering if the gps in the iphone was locked like verizon does or open. Do I have to pay an extra 10 bucks a month or something for gps service or can I just buy a gps program from the app store and just have it work.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
GPS has nothing whatsoever to do with data.

Agreed.

To the OP,
The iPhone has an aGPS chip, it get's a rough estimate with cell tower triangulation and the locks in with the satellites.

Google maps, requires data for the maps. Which, in the US, is covered by your unlimited data plan. Use of the GPS satellites is free.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
For a little clarification, the maps app on the phone is free, AT&T has an app that costs $9.99 per month, but if you can get a different app in the app store like Where or Yelp, then they can use the GPS to it's full abilities.

Verizon phones are usually set up to use their GPS services only, no third party apps allowed, as they want the customer to spend the money on the feature, not get it for free. It would be like AT&T allowing only their Navigator (I think that's what it is called now) app to work with the GPS chips only.

Reactions: shutter

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro