iphone on/off power scheme?

wtlaw

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Moved from BlackBerry where I was able to schedule when to turn the phone off and back on in the morning. Is there any App or any setting that would allow me to do weekday and weekend on/off schedules on an iphone 3GS ????
Thanks

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm just amazed that anyone actually turns their iPhone off...

Seriously, no there isn't, I am not even aware of a jailbreak app that would do that.

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar question and coming from the winmo world I'm surprised as well. Especially on a device with pretty short battery life like an iPhone.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Sometimes you do have to power cycle the iPhone but definately not as often. (I usually do it when the browser scrolling is no longer smooth).

I at least wish there was a setting in exchange for scheduling. In winmo you could specify when the mail is to push Itself and when to switch to pull. This is useful at night when you don't want mail alerts through the night.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
A blackberry can be turned off by holding the end call button for a few seconds. It did this on my 8300 series Curve and my 9000 series Bold. Pulling the battery resets the device, it restarts when the battery is re-inserted.

If the sounds are an issue, just set the silent switch on and it will vibrate, or go into settings and turn off the sounds for new emails.

I agree that the device needs some profile settings, as it would be a nice alternative to jumping through hoops to turn off some sounds for specific occasions, like meetings and such.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
A blackberry can be turned off by holding the end call button for a few seconds. It did this on my 8300 series Curve and my 9000 series Bold. Pulling the battery resets the device, it restarts when the battery is re-inserted.

I support blackberries at work. It's not 100% off without pulling the battery.

Both AT&T and Verizon have you do this every time before it will pick up new network info.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
But obviously, the phone in the "off" mode without the battery out still does not receive calls or notify you of incoming data.

So, just like a VCR or Computer, yes, the phone is not totally off, but still is in a sleep type state that warrants no audible or visual or vibrating notifications, until you "turn on" the device again. Then all missed calls, emails, texts etcetera are picked up by the device, and the notifications are enabled.

When you hold down the sleep/power button on the iPhone, it does the same. You get a screen that asks you to "slide to power off," and when you slide it, it goes through the motions and powers down. Is it totally off, no. It still needs a small amount of power to keep some or all of the buttons active, so that certain button pushes or combinations thereof, can re-awaken the device as needed.

Obviously, removing a battery from a device that has no backup battery will allow it to go into a power free state, but as I mentioned before, the only reason for doing that is to reboot the OS on the Blackberries. That can also be done through a key combination on the keyboard and it accomplishes the same result. Pulling the battery may just be a little better because it will allow the volatile memory to flush if the battery is left out for a short period of time.

But anyway, I see I have strayed from the general topic of this thread. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro