Network Use

Why do you use cellular network?

• Total voters

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I had my first Iphone when it hadn't arrived in Canada yet so it had to be unlocked and Jailbroken to turn off the Edge network since I didn't have a data plan. I have Wifi at home, at work and pretty much all the other places I regularly go to ie. friends, family, etc. So I never found any craving to use the cellular network. Then I got a 3G but since I didn't need the data plan again I Jailbroke the phone so I could turn off 3G and Edge. I'm just wondering if it's just my personal circumstances that I don't need the use of the network or are other users using it just because they can? So do you use the network to do things that are absolutely critical for work or personally? I know it's cool to get emails when you're away from the office but are they critical that can't wait for an hour while you're on a train? if you had just a cell phone that couldn't get emails how would you be contacted on that journey? Do you use it just because you have it? and it makes your life easier? There's no point I'm trying to make just a fun question to try to figure out how vital having the connection at all times is. Could you think of anything it allows you to do that is just absolutely necessary? An example turn by turn GPS is cool but for me I use Google maps or mapquest before I leave for the journey, get a map, stop and ask for directions so it's not something you couldn't live without using.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
There is alot to answer. But, briefly, I could live without everything but the phone. I don't have too. I find it much more convenient to have all the extras the iPhone offers.

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I could live without all of it. I just have it because it was given to me, if it wasnt for family and friends bugging me all the time i wouldnt even have a computer.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Cool, cool like I said it was just really a cool question I had kicking around in my head because people always look at me funny when I tell them that I don't have a data plan and I only use Wifi. So I just wanted to see if I was the only one out there. I think though for myself now that I have been using an Iphone for about three years now?? well ever since the 1g launched and not using the data plan I couldn't justify paying an extra $35 dollars plus the $50/month I already pay for just phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I feel as though there is alot of power going to waste by not having the data plan. There is no reason to have an iPhone without Internet. You must be unlocked? Cause AT&T will not allow you to have iPhone unless you have the data plan.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You know what having used the phone this way for years I don't think there is any waste of power. I think that is a subjective issue because it is determined by the person's use. If the device fulfills the person's needs I don't see them using it for more than that. How many people have Hi-Fi home audio systems that they haven't read through the manual or used 10% of it's capabilities? Once they plug it in and it does what they bought it to do the majority don't bother to delve into the rest of it's functions. I'm in Canada and I'm with Fido. The first phone I had was unlocked because we didn't have Iphones in Canada at that time. My current 3G is not unlocked because it is a Fido Iphone so it accepts my SIM just fine. The reason I never had to use a data plan is I had a regular phone with a regular plan. I got an Iphone and popped my SIM in and away I went. Then I bought the used 3G for full price from a person not Fido. I have called into Fido and they have asked what kind of phone I'm using and I tell them it's an Iphone and nothing more is said. If they did tell me I wouldn't be allowed to use it without a data plan I would cancel my account, I'm not under contract, and I would go to Rogers. If the same thing happend there I would sell the phone and move to another carrier simply because it is my phone and my hard earned cash I shouldn't be told how to use it. I have been a Fido customer for over 10 years and as early as I can remember I have paid no less than $30 a month for the service so add that up and you'll see how much they have made of me and that $30 is the low end of some years that I paid as much as $50 a month.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
lol! I have been paying at least $70 a month for the last 10 years and for the last three of those 10 I have been paying well over $100 a month. they have been making bank off of me!

Why does everyone get sooooo defensive? I was only saying that without the internet use, the iphone is not running up to potential. shees! and as for the HI-Fi example...I am one of those guys that reads ALL of the literature that comes with, and I at least try and use all of the features, so that does not apply (to me)

so no it is not subjective. there is a finite answer. simply because it is how you use it does not mean that the phone is reaching its potential. now there is nothing wrong with how you want to use it. You are absolutely correct in that it is your phone and you can use it how you want. for me I would NOT own an IPhone if I did not plan on having the data plan. That is how I choose to use the phone.

this thread is no longer productive for me. I have wasted enough time as it is. I am done.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have a data plan because it comes with the package. However, it comes with so many arbitrary restrictions that I also have a MiFi. With the MiFi, I do not need GPRS data. I would not need AT&T at all if Skype or Truphone could wake up to receive incoming calls and SMS.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
lol! I have been paying at least $70 a month for the last 10 years and for the last three of those 10 I have been paying well over $100 a month. they have been making bank off of me!

Why does everyone get sooooo defensive? I was only saying that without the internet use, the iphone is not running up to potential. shees! and as for the HI-Fi example...I am one of those guys that reads ALL of the literature that comes with, and I at least try and use all of the features, so that does not apply (to me)

so no it is not subjective. there is a finite answer. simply because it is how you use it does not mean that the phone is reaching its potential. now there is nothing wrong with how you want to use it. You are absolutely correct in that it is your phone and you can use it how you want. for me I would NOT own an IPhone if I did not plan on having the data plan. That is how I choose to use the phone.

this thread is no longer productive for me. I have wasted enough time as it is. I am done.

You are 100% correct - no data plan - buy an iPod Touch. That's just my opinion though. ;)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have a data plan because it comes with the package. However, it comes with so many arbitrary restrictions that I also have a MiFi. With the MiFi, I do not need GPRS data. I would not need AT&T at all if Skype or Truphone could wake up to receive incoming calls and SMS.
Turns out that Skype can. I will try it but I bet that it is tough on battery life.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

LOL I wasn't getting defensive I was simply making my point. The thread as many of my threads are never meant to prove a point they are just cool questions, well cool to me, that pop into my head and I thought it might generate some debate. So I'm not trying to argue a point, I'm not trying to say my way is better than anything else was just a question.

You are 100% correct - no data plan - buy an iPod Touch. That's just my opinion though.

Which ofcourse everyone is entitled to and my opinion is why would I buy an Ipod Touch when it doesn't have a phone function? We can't get skype here in Canada, as far as I know, and using skype in the middle of downtown wouldn't work for me. Hence the reason I have a cell phone, so that logic doesn't work for me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
....... We can't get skype here in Canada, as far as I know, .........
Skype is VoIP over the Internet. I can certainly call into Canada on Skype. Who blocks me from calling out, Rogers? Blocked only on wireless? Incidentally, making calls on Skype with the Apple headset is, for all practical purposes, as easy as making one on AT&T or Rogers. I do not like it because I do not like to "wear a wire."

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
As far as I remember everyone was getting excited about loading Skype on the touch and the Iphone to make calls over Wifi. Then through some laws or licensing Skype is not allowed to be bought in the Canadian Itunes store as far as I remember. The other thing I was getting at is with a cell phone I can make a call at anytime from anywhere as long as I have service. If I have skype it's not that easy. In any case anyone is allowed to their opinion but I have my phone regardless and I'm happy so it's all good.

Hoolian

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't imagine using my iPhone without a data plan. Texting is a necessity, i don't like calling very much but i have to anyway. GPS and google maps are a godsend and i would get lost constantly without it. Facebook on the go is super useful also.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I can imagine all my friends have data plans so when we go out for lunch they pull it out and check email, browse, open GPS while I have to ask the server from whatever place we're at if they have Wifi LOL but I don't mind I think I'm used to it now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice