New iPhone user have a couple ?'s

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey all I'm a new iPhone convertee from a Treo Pro on Windows Mobile.

I have a couple questions on the best way to do things on my iPhone:

1. I have two email accounts on my phone, seems like the only way to flip between them is to hit the mail button and either select the current account, or backout to inbox, accounts then select the account. In the Windows Mobile world i could just go right or left to select between exchange, gmail, txt, etc.

2. How do I store some attachements on the phone? Like to want to store my resume or a few other often used files, I email to people.

3. Is there a way to schedule, either a) flight mode to kick in at a certain time or b) schedule exchange email to stop syncing at a certain time? For example when I want to go to bed, I want the phone to shut off to save juice and kill any noise.

4. Can I set up a custom alert on incoming email? For example if bill @ gates.com emails me I would like it to beep with a different tone then the normal notification.

Thanks in advance- So far I'm loving it, just trying to get past a few items.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
In the current OS...
1) This is the only way to access either account
2)There are a variety of apps that can access files. Just search files in the app store and you'll get a long list.
3) You can put the phone on silent or turn it off. Currently there is no way to do either.
4) Unfortunatley there are no custom tones for email nor sms. Only calls.

Other than these there's an app for almost about everything. Best phone ever. Can do way more than any other phone. Sure some other phones might have some things that the iphone does not. But the iphone has way more that other phones don't plus more to come in the future. Apple is extremely innovative.

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
adding to:
3) manually select airplane mode. It saves battery life as well! I'd like to see a supreme preference option where you can select specific application to shut down while sleeping.
4) through jailbreak you can change alerts to chime differently between e-mail, text, pop-ups, calendar, but not by specific contacts.

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well all of that doesn't sound too great. Is there possibly some apps that alllow me to shutdown at a certain time?

Also on the gmail front is there no google app for gmail instead of using the internal mail app? If so does it suck?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Well all of that doesn't sound too great. Is there possibly some apps that alllow me to shutdown at a certain time?

Also on the gmail front is there no google app for gmail instead of using the internal mail app? If so does it suck?

To shut down at certain times you will have to look at the Jail Break community for that. Not sure if they can do it but if it can be done they are doing it.

For Gmail, look at App Gmail in the App Store.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Gmail does not "push" (yet) the way MobileMe/Yahoo does. If you want to get push Gmail the closest thing you can get is GPush from the App Store. It is more of a notifier though. That is if they have fixed it yet.:rolleyes: