Iphone Pocket PC???

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
What is going to be pocket size PC? Is it something new from Apple? I am waiting to know about it more in details. Can anyone suggest me any site referring this?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
i will have to agree and disagree with what most of you have said, when i am in front of my pc, all i use is the msn and browser ... which i can also do on the iphone.

but i will not call it a pocket pc yet, as to be able to call it such i must be able to to browse the entire content of the pc, copy and paste from anywhere to everywhere easily ... and simple manipulation of files(text) and such ...

till then it will still be a smartphone for me ... or phones with extra capabilities ...
Sorry. Your qualifications are arbitrary, not definitional. The capabilities that you specify are in the hardware and software. Apple arbitrarily chooses to hide them. Exposing them is called 'jailbreaking.' You have chosen not to expose them. That decision is no less arbitrary than Apple's to hide them.

However, one cannot have it both ways. One cannot choose not to have them and then declare that the iPhone is not a "Pocket PC" because it does not have them.

It is personal, it is a (very good) computer, better than most that i have used, better than it was when this thread began, peer connected to the one on which I write this, and it fits in my pocket. Q.E.D.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's funny because I thought about just this thread while my laptop was at Apple over the past weekend. I was trying to use an older Celeron computer and god I thought how much better and faster it would have been for me to use my Iphone to do the same things.

miked#IM

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Frankly, I see my iPhone as a handheld computer that happens to have phone capability. I use it 90+% for data stuff (apps, safari, email), and 10% for phone.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Frankly, I see my iPhone as a handheld computer that happens to have phone capability. I use it 90+% for data stuff (apps, safari, email), and 10% for phone.
A decade or so ago, in an attempt to encapsulate the idea of the complex/opaque computer, I used to tell my audiences, "Never trust a computer that you cannot carry, prefer those that you can put in your pocket." I still carry my most sensitive data in my pocket.

I think that it is time to re-define the "P" in PC. From now on, the P should stand for "pocket." By definition, if it is too large to fit in one's pocket, it is not "personal."

The PC should be defined by its role in our lives, not by the features that one might like for it to have.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro