Backup takes forever.....

MikeM

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Is it necessary to perform a backup every time I sync? I sync with two pc's and not only does the backup take absolutely for ever, it use the HD space on both PC's...

Any way to limit the backup to once a week, once a month or manually?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It does a backup on each sync, you'd have to hit the X on the iTunes info display to get it to stop. How long does it take though? My entire sync takes maybe 2-3 minutes with maybe half of that being the backup.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
big9erfan is correct, it should only take a few minutes. But, I wonder, if the backup folder is full or corrupt thus causing this issue...

MikeM

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks folks.. the phone is new, though anything can go currupt at any point obviously.. The Backup takes about 40 minutes if not more. It's a 32g 3Gs, with over 17g free. I sync my calendar and contacts from my office PC and my media from my home pc, can this have something to do with it? Other than that, nothing special that I can tell of.

Is there any danger if I chose to abort the backup by clicking the X, other than the loss of updated data, if I had sync'd earlier in the day?

Last edited:

mrnine

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what my problem is. But when you guys say "forever," I don't think of 40 minutes. I'm 2 hours into a backup currently. Only doing this so I can install the 3.1 update. I'm only about 25% through on the status bar. I'm just hoping I can get it done in the next 9 or 10 hours before I go to bed. I typically just expect my backups to take around 12 hours.

I use MobileMe so I don't have to backup often. All my contact info is in the cloud. But now I'm starting to wonder: what can I do to fix this?

I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I'm backing up a 3GS with 2gb audio, 1gb video, 2gb photos and 6gb of application data. Clearly 11gb shouldn't take 12 hours, but it does.

Should I wipe something out and start over? I've not actually seen much progress on my status bar in the last hour.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2