Apple wants to stamp out Iphone abusers

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/08/07/patent-watch-apple-stand-abused-iphones/

I don't like the way this is going because who will determine the extent of abuse that is acceptable? What I mean is sure exposing it to extreme heat, cold or moisture but who knows, what happens if they start using a shock sensor and tell you that because it slipped out of your hand and hit a solid surface you wont be covered by warranty? Also what about people who's phones are subjected to hot or cold temperatures just by their location? What are your thoughts??

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Gotta say, it really boggles my mind when I see people with phones that look like they just kick them down the sidewalk as they go. Accidents happen I know, but many people do simply treat their phones as expendible and then get up set when companies won't help them for damage they did.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I understand that but I'm more worried about people who can't help what happens to their phone ie. live somewhere extremely hot or extremely cold. I remember when I was with Bell a long, long time ago and when I went in to have my phone repaired there were three people ahead of me and each one the response was your phone shows water damage sorry we can't do anything it's not covered. I personally know my phone was never in contact with water since it was my fifth phone but yet after a week they called me in to tell me that it had water damage and couldn't be repaired under warranty. While leaving I heard them telling the same line to two more people behind me. So I'm worried about someone who treat their phone with kiddie gloves and one time it slipped and fell to a hard floor and then it's not repaired under warranty.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Never know what will happen. Hopefully they will improve their sensors. I think it is known that the iPhone's water sensors are very sensitive, and in terrible locations.

I think no matter what there will always be people who get hosed on warranty.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I guess you're right, Apple has always been good about warranty claims so like you said we'll just have to wait and see what happens :confused:

PastorGadget

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying that if the shock sensor was triggered the warranty would be null. I've dropped my phone and it didn't break. But what if the mute button starts to wear out after about 6 months. That failure would not be due to being dropped. I would hate this system.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Right now they only had excessive heat and cold and water damage but just the name "abusers" I immediately think they will try to include some info from the shock sensor.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
having worked in a position where i frequently swap out iPhone warranty exchanges (you do the math), you'd be shocked what people try to get past you. what it comes down to for me is: is the phone disfunctional because of the user damage? if yes, don't replace, if no, replace. if you cracked your screen, and you have a dead spot on your touchscreen, obviously i'm not going to replace it -- but if your vibrate switch is broken off and you can't sync with your computer, that's probably a replacement.

the bottom line is that warranty exchanges cost apple A LOT of money, they literally can't afford to hand out iPhone replacements to people who have abused their phones. anyways, Apple offers a VERY fair out of warranty replacement program.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Just need to take extra care of your phone. Yes accidents happen but a lot of times there is a strong negative reason behind them..

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
True dat! Too many people think that they're owed a new phone because of accidents. Not true. They're the ones who get mad and call apple customer service crappy when they don't get what they want. If you don't want to drop your phone in the toilet keep it in your pocket while there. No texting while on the pot!:)

HighLife#IM

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
next they going to be able to plug in our iPhones and its going to talk and tell them what we did to it..

Tech - "ok iPhone tell me what happened"
iPhone - "well, i was sitting on the edge of the table, next i was flying through the air and then hit the floor. Im scared, will you hold me?"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR