Why won't my custom ringtones work?

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Help! I created a handful of ringtones in iTunes for my friends and family. I've got them on my iPhone 3GS just fine and assigned them to individual contacts, but whenever my phone rings, the default ringtone plays. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening or what I'm not doing right? Thanks!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm guessing the ringtone length is less than 30 seconds, right?

Edit: as a test, add a default tone to a contact, then test it to make sure it works. Then, create a ringtone, making sure it's under 30 seconds, assign it to a contact, and try again...

Last edited:

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes - all of the ringtones I created are 30 seconds or less.

In response to your test suggestion: the default ringtone I'm using is one that I created in iTunes, so I know that they work. Any other suggestions?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Try the test with one if the default ringtones. Then you'll know if the problem is your created ringtones or something else

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I have one default ringtone set as the default ringtone in my settings. I applied another default ringtone as the custom ringtone for a friend. Just had her call me and it's still ringing as the default ringtone I chose in my settings. What the hell?!!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Ok now you know it's not your ringtones. Now let's go through your settings. Tell us exactly how you set the ringtone

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
For the custom one, i went to my contact, clicked on "ringtone", scrolled down to the ringtone I wanted and chose it. The song title then shows up next to "ringtone" in my contact's info page. Then I exit out of my contacts.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a really stupid question but have to ask to make sure. You do have caller display on your plan? As far as I've known if you don't have caller display it will not be able to pick up your different friends in order to play the custom ringtones.

If you do have caller display, try un-syncing the custom ringtones and then sync only one back to the phone. Assign it to a contact and have the contact call you and see what happens.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank your for the details. So now we know that selection is done. I have had this happen a few times to me but somehow it got resolved. It may just need a soft reset. Or you can turn the phone off and on again and try the test again.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking around under settings>> and found nothing. So your next step in my opinion is to de a restore from back up. And if that doesn't work restore as new and re- add your content.

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I'll just pop into the Apple store where I bought the phone a few weeks ago. Thanks to everyone for your efforts and suggestions.

michael11694

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Same Problem

I finally got around to a) creating a ringtone from a music file I purchased on iTunes and b) making a ringtone from a music file I ripped to my iTunes library. Both synchronized successfully to my iPhone 3G. Both are in my ringtone folder and appear in the ringtones part of my music library. However I have the same problem that kmb3333 has. After assigning an individual ringtone to a contact - it stills rings with the default ringtone. It doesn't matter if the default is custom or not and it doesn't matter if the individual contact ringtone is custom or not. And it doesn't matter if the custom ringtone is made from the apple store or home bred. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:

Just_My_Luck

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

:(Please hepl me as i am having the same problem as ringtone are set for individuals contacts but always go back to defult ringtones?PLEASE help meAs MY ipone is BRAND new 3 days ago,done the folder and all,NO jail broken.When at contact plays fine,but when contact rings its bac to defualt tune?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73