3Gs not charging through wall outlet

Tore Jonssen

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up a new 32GB 3Gs a week ago. It would charge through PC connection (USB), in my car (USB) and while connected to a car charger (12V), but not when connecting to a wall outlet (Norway, 220V). Tried several different chargers, but original and 3rd party, but no avail.
The phone has now been sent to service, but any ideas?
Are there any reports of others with the same problem?

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Is the outlet that you are trying to use putting out 220V? Here in america, we run a 120V system by default for residential buildings. We use 220/240V on some of our more power hungry appliances like ranges and clothes dryers. This requires two "hot" wires, both energized at 120V, to the outlet to make up the 220/240V. If there is any interruption or a short in one of the wires, we get intermittent 220/240V, or drops to 120V, meaning the device will not work at all, or sporadically.

Try numerous outlets to see if all of them do it. Then, you could probably rule out the electrical system. USB adapters need only 5V or 12V to charge devices, and everything that you mentioned in your post as working, were in the car, or a PC. These voltages would be stable, and as labeled.

That would be my first course of action would be to check the voltages in the house, at the wall outlets to verify the 220V.

Last edited:

Tore Jonssen

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi, and thanks for answering!
I have tried several chargers and outlets, both in my house and others (all outlets in Norway are 220V). From what I've been able to tell from the web it might have something to do with AC vs DC.
USB / car chargers etc . are different from wall outlets in that respect.
Hopefully, I'll just get a brand new 3Gs that will charge using both methods.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm assuming you have European 220V charger? Might have to call Apple on this one. Maybe you need a converter or something.

Krandersen

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Experiencing the same problem.

Hi, I have the exact same problem. I also have the 32gb version, and I also live in Norway. I'm going to an Apple reseller tomorrow to have them take a look at it. If you find a solution to the problem please share!

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Remember that the AC/DC argument does not apply to this, as all of the adapters for AC voltage convert to DC through the adapter. If you look at the specs for the adapters, on them, or the packaging, should say 220V AC x-Amps input and something like 5V DC x-Amps output.

I have heard that some accessories for iPods, or first generation iPhones will not work properly with the 3GS.

Tore Jonssen

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Not charging through wall outlet

All my accessories are original (the wall charger is the one that came with the 3Gs. and thus it should work). I have returned my phone to the reseller (Telehuset), they had never heard of the problem and assumed I will get a new / repaired phone within one week. I will let you know once I get my phone back what was wrong.

Tore Jonssen

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
OK, here's the deal:
I tested two different chargers in addition to my own (the original charger that came with the phone) at the reseller. None of them worked. Telenor's service partner has had the phone for six days and says nothing's wrong, but they have done a "service update" to the phone, whatever that is. My phone now charges through 220V with three different chargers I've tried except the one that came in the package. I guess I have to buy a new charger and test it in the store before I actually buy it.
I will be very impressed if anyone can explain what's happening here, because the chance of my reseller having two defect chargers out of two tested would be minimal....

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Are you using your USB sync cable that came with the phone with all of the chargers? If you are, the next step would be to test the chargers with a different sync cable.

Tore Jonssen

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Got a travel charger free of charge (sic) from the reseller. It works fine. I use the original USB cable with the PC / car and the travel charger whenever I can't use the other one. Whatever the problem was, I don't care. The 3Gs rocks! But thanks for answering:)

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Glad to see that the problem was somewhat solved. Sorry you even had to go through all of that.

The phone is great, hope you have no more issues with it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2