Compass not so accurate???

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello guys... Just a clarification if I'm wrong but when you hold your iphone 3gs at a 90 degree angle (standing up) and then lay it flat on a table pointing at the same direction... Wouldn't you get the exact same reading in the digital compass.... I get two diferent readings....
I read the compass works regardless of how the phone is held in your hand....
Any inputs??

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The compass has been strikingly innaccurate for me. It's pointed me in the wrong direction more times than the right... They should fix this..

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
it takes interference poorly. get it near any speakers or other magnetic source (microwaves, some televisions, computers) and you'll see what I mean. I can hardly use it at my desk at work because of multiple speakers

it also doesn't like not being perfectly level. I can wobble my hand up and down and the compass changes its direction. (to be fair real compasses hate not being level either)

digital compases will never be the same as a manual compass and even manual compases wobble in the same way. I've seen a compass move between 5-10 degrees if I move my hand. It's just a lot easier to see when there's a physical needle.

Something tells me most of the inaccuracy is from people not holding it level.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The compass is wrong for me 90% of the time. Usually when driving it always points 90 degrees left of the direction I'm moving instead of pointing straight ahead.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed if you have your iPhone charging, the compass points to the left or right, but when you unplug it, it goes back to normal. Lol. Very annoying since it's nice to have it charging as I'm using gps (battery drainer).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2