Non-Jailbreakers

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
well i own a itouch and a 3GS with a contract and i`m happy that way it is i wich i had google voice app but i can survive without it in my iphone as an app but i have it anyways just not as an app so why jailbreak it anyway custom backgrounds its ok i dont have to see a picture wich is gonna be blocked by the icons anyway in my background; what else some games hey i wanna game i turn on xbox 360 and get my COD4 on no really good apps out there right now that would make me doit and changing stupid themes and icons no thanks at least not in my phone my itouch is jailbroken and like sting7k said and yes it is a fact my itouch is laggy, crashes all the time, i have to restore once in a while is just not woth it in my 3GS my itouch ok it is my test device anyways

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
well i own a itouch and a 3GS with a contract and i`m happy that way it is i wich i had google voice app but i can survive without it in my iphone as an app but i have it anyways just not as an app so why jailbreak it anyway custom backgrounds its ok i dont have to see a picture wich is gonna be blocked by the icons anyway in my background; what else some games hey i wanna game i turn on xbox 360 and get my COD4 on no really good apps out there right now that would make me doit and changing stupid themes and icons no thanks at least not in my phone my itouch is jailbroken and like sting7k said and yes it is a fact my itouch is laggy, crashes all the time, i have to restore once in a while is just not woth it in my 3GS my itouch ok it is my test device anyways

Punctuation is your friend ;)

cjmillisock

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Can I still write apps as part of the iPhone Developer Program, and install them on my iPhone if my phone is jailbroken? I can't find anyone who can answer this question.

phrint

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Those of you who are not jailbroken, you do not know what you are missing. It makes the iPhone so much better because you control the experience. You can get aps like SBSettings, Cycorder (sweet video-recorder for the 3G), qTweeter (instant updates for facebook and twitter), winterboard and GV Mobile. It still syncs with iTunes just fine and you can always restore back to the way it was if you don't like it.

I was on the fence about jailbreaking but once GV Mobile was pulled I went through with it and I was nervous too. I found the experience to be easy and painless on my Powerbook G4. Those who knock it for being buggy did something wrong because I notice no difference at all before and after the break. Don't knock if you haven't tried it. The continuous updates make for a more stable experience. Those who make excuses are afraid or don't know enough about jailbreaking to make an educated decision or response.

Quoting Apple's policies is ignorant because Apple will tell you anything to keep you from jailbreaking and being free of their corporate stranglehold. I am surprised Apple didn't tell you the world would explode and burn into ashes if you jailbreak your iPhone. You would probably believe that one too.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Is this thread turning into a "come to the darkside" thread? I have done a lot of reading on this site and others. I will not be jailbreaking. There are too many problems with it. In my opinion the problems out weigh the so-called benefits.

It does appear to be turning into a "come to the darkside" thread; I don't know what the OP's intent was. But I did want to comment on this. It personally does not bother me that there are those that have not jailbroken; there are good reasons not to. However, I did a lot of reading on the issue too as this is my first iPhone. I decided to give it a shot because I really wanted backgrounding for MLB at Bat, Pandora and some others. I don't care about the themes. I used Purplera1n as soon as RC2 came out and haven't had a single problem. My phone has never dropped push or wi-fi, battery life is still the same, and if it is running more slowly I'm not perceptive enough to notice. I've never had to restore and re-do the process. Now I haven't loaded it down with a ton of Cydia Apps though. I have Winterboard (just to put a picture in the background), Backgrounder, Categories, and iPhone Modem.

Just thought I'd chime in because I think sometimes those having problems are typically louder than those that have no reason to post "Hey my phone runs great!"

shadowagent

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I jailbroke my 3G right after the 3.0 update. I had always wanted to but I too was afraid it would screw up my phone.

I guess the reason I chose to after 3.0 was released was because I was pretty pissed that with the 3.0 update Apple didn't give the 3G the video recording option or the battery status percentage indicator. This irritated me because there is no limitation of the hardware that would stop them from making these features for the 3G and only making them available on the 3GS.

As quite a few have posted on here, it is a very quick and painless process (speaking from my experience). It takes less time to jailbreak your phone than to install a new Apple FW update or to do a Restore.

My top reason for jailbreaking is SBSettings by far. So many option at the swipe of a finger!

I can understand people's hesitation and I don't blame them. It's a personal choice.

As a side note, I did update my phone to 3.0.1 in order to fix the SMS issue. Figured that issue was more important to deal with than having a jailbroke phone. HOWEVER.... for the 3 or so days that I was not jailbroken I did notice that I STILL had the numeric percentage battery indicator and the numeric wifi strength indicator. Are you not supposed to lose the ENTIRE jailbreak when you update with Apples FW? I always thought iTunes did a Restore when it updated to latest firmware. Maybe I should have done a full Restore before updating to 3.0.1 and that would have wiped it all clean.

Anyhow, I am happy to have my jailbreak back. :)

Noodlehead

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
What are the pros, cons, and risks?

I have yet to find a good site that objectively weighs the pros, cons, and risks of jailbreaking in straight forward terms.

What instabilities might I start seeing?
What will Apple know about it and will they care?

It's all too shady to know if it's worth risking my warranty and reliability. If someone has a link to share, let me know!

patrickjl

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been wanting to jailbreak for a few features - winterboard, pdanet, cycorder, etc. I haven't yet because I'm afraid of screwing my phone up. I agree with noodlehead that there isn't a site that weighs the pros, cons, and risks. I've heard it's harmless but I've also heard its messed some things up too. I can't afford to replace the phone if I totally botch it up during jailbreak so I'm stuck on the other side.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Personally, as many others have said before me in this thread, I came to the iPhone from a Windows Mobile, Palm and Blackberry background. I installed hacked ROMs on my Treo 750, AT&T Treo 750, 8125 and 8925 WM phones, installed beta OS's on my Curve and Bold, and even messed around a little with my Treo 650 a while back. That doesn't include the Pocket PC PDA's that I played around with, too.

All in all, all of the devices were eventually reformatted or restored to original, stock ROMs or OS's because of the numerous issues the devices had while "hacked."

My WM devices crashed on a regular basis, or locked up, and my Blackberries had memory leaks the size of the hole in the Titanic. They just never functioned as the manufacturer intended them to.

Now, I am no Apple fanboy, by any means, but the phone, as mentioned before also, just works. I have not found anything that I need it to do that it can't do (other than Flash, but that in itself is a huge security hole), either right from the box or with an app. Sure the device isn't open to installing any app we want, from any hack..oops..developer we find on the net, but how many untrusted apps did WM users install over the lifetime of their devices and got hosed because of it.

As people that have jailbroken their phones find it useful, good for all of you, but trying to convince me that it is good for me is useless. I can't imagine how many people go to Apple stores on a daily basis and try to return jailbroken phones to Apple because they are having problems with them.

I read a post the other day where the OP stated that he couldn't wait to get himself and his girlfriend a pair of new 3GS phones and jailbreak them right out of the box, like it was going to change his and her lives somehow.

But like I said, good luck to all of you that have jailbroken and love it. I will not be doing it, and see no reason why I should in the present or the future.

LouieO

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Jailbreaking is the best. I listen to streaming radio apps and get annoyed when I have to disconnect from the server to do simple things like answer a text or check my email. Backgrounder allows you to run the app and you can close it and do whatever else. Also iReal SMS is the worth jailbreaking alone. I was hoping 3.0 would implement quick reply and quick send but they didn't. This app allows you to respond to text messages from within any app so you don't Jane to shut them down, again very annoying. Also you can send or reply from your lockscreen. Not to mention you can call up someone from the lockscreen without having to type in your passcode every time.

You guys should try it, if you don't like it you could allows restore and get a brand new phone.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
When I first bought my 3GS, I jailbroke it just because I could, and so I could say I successfully did it.

But, after about 24 hours of use, I didn't see the point. Sometimes Cydia would lock up, and for no apparent reason. The only real thing I liked about being jailbroken was themes, i.e. Winterboard...

phrint

May 21, 2009
Visit site
You can download a free program from the Apple ap store called Pixelpipe. Then download PPVideoEnabler from Cydia. Record a video using Cycorder on your 3G and upload to Facebook, Twitter or a dozen other sites via Pixelpipe. That totally removed my need to upgrade to a 3GS at this point. Jailbreaking is fun.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I need to revise my original vote. Initially I was a non-jailbreaker cuz I was dully impressed my iPhone the way it is/was. I still do. But I freed my 3GS tonite, and so far totally love it. I can respect those who don't, but doing the jailbreak really does open up a whole new world. If you use the right files & tutorial steps here you can't go wrong, and this is from one that had issues getting 3.0.1 installed LOL.

rocketcuse#IM

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking does not void your warranty! All you have to do is restore the phone and Apple has no way of knowing. If they ask why the phone was wiped, tell them you thought a restore might fix it. I've done this, it works.

Warranty issues are not a valid reason to avoid jailbreaking your Iphone!

Actually, Apple's own troubleshooting steps is to restore the iPhone first, then seek assistance. Apple will all ready assume you wiped and restored the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods